Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

changing rotors and pads ?

Old 05-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
Banned
sunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to behold
sunflower's Tacoma Gallery
changing rotors and pads ?

Is there anything I need to know about changing brake rotors and pads in a 2002 Tacoma thats special ? I have done them numerous times in Fords and Hondas but never my Tacoma.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Nope. Easiest maintenance you will do on this truck. Check out the DIY thread on top for some how-to's if you need but otherwise its just two bolts per side.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
bpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud of
Name: Jon
bpkrules's Tacoma Gallery
There is a great "how to" on Youtube.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
These youtube videos pretty much explain everything. Seems very simple to me, and I am terrible with this kind of stuff, lol. I'll be doing it soon. Let me know how it goes.

Part one

Part Two
Old 05-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
These youtube videos pretty much explain everything. Seems very simple to me, and I am terrible with this kind of stuff, lol. I'll be doing it soon. Let me know how it goes.

Part one

Part Two
So I'm gonna be the new breed of "hipster doofus" mechanics.

Next to me on the driveway will be my Macbook Pro with the youtube tutorial guiding me the whole way through the process

Old 05-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
^ Thats generally how I do it. Manual on one side and internet on the other.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
Just a note, if you end up only doing pads, you don't even have to remove the two caliper bolts. Literally, pull a spring retainer, two pad dow pins, and you're ready to remove the pads. It's awesome.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJPP View Post
Just a note, if you end up only doing pads, you don't even have to remove the two caliper bolts. Literally, pull a spring retainer, two pad dow pins, and you're ready to remove the pads. It's awesome.
Forgive my ignorance, but if you're just changing your pads, don't you have to resurface your rotor also (or whatever it's called)?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but if you're just changing your pads, don't you have to resurface your rotor also (or whatever it's called)?

If you are doing "IT" the right way and only want to be there once..YES.......

This may be a moot point BUT depending on your miles and the price of rotors,just purchase everything NEW and be done !!!!
Old 05-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
When I replaced my pads I used Dura Last, the resurfacing cost was only a few less than new rotors, and I got a $10 rebate on the rotors.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
yes, while you are doing it you should just go ahead and install new rotors. I got blasted for saying this awhile back, but while rotors can be resurfaced, (if not worn too bad, that is just looking at the surface. rotors are subject to mico cracks and metal fatigue, and they are a little thinner then you resurface them, so why take a chance? They don't fail often, and yes its rare, but if you are off roading, have a load in your truck, would you want to take a chance for it to fail then? esp. for something so simple. sometimes saving 20 dollars per side, is not worth it. and think about it this way, if you are doing it yourself, like changing the oil, look at all the labor money you are saving, put some back into your truck and you are still ahead of the game.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
You don't have to. However, I highly advise turning the rotors when changing the pad. If you don't, it seems the pads don't last as long, your stopping power isn't as good, and I think you have a higher chance of grooving the rotors.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #13
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
when doing brakes, you need to at least turn the rotors. I have had many years experience with this, and no one I know who works on cars or trucks would ever tell someone straight up, you don't need to at least turn the rotors when doing the brakes. Its unsafe. I will take a stand on this with anyone, anytime. And I welcome any discussion on this.