Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Well, this is sufficiently weird.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Browncoat
Stoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to all

Stoic's Tacoma Gallery
Well, this is sufficiently weird.

Dome light wouldn't work when I opened the driver side door on my '04 Tacoma. 98Tacoma27 helped me i.d. the part and I ordered it. Came it today and I went out to install. Pulled the rubber gasket/cover off the old switch and found a dime wedged in to the back. Removed the dime and put the cover back on and the switch now works just fine. <facepalm>

I may just install the new switch just for the hell of it.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
How daheck did a dime get in there?
Old 05-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
rbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: ARFF @ ROC
Name: Rich
rbishopp's Tacoma Gallery
yeah really ? How'd the dime get in there? I would probably install the new switch in case the 10cent one was damaged.

Good title/topic for thread.

So half my dash lights went out for about 2 minutes one night a month or so ago. Hasn't happened again.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I had an old Ranger that, when the door switch went bad, the dome light wouldn't go out, it just stayed on. The previous owner might have wedged the dime in there because he had a similar issue.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoic View Post
Dome light wouldn't work when I opened the driver side door on my '04 Tacoma. 98Tacoma27 helped me i.d. the part and I ordered it. Came it today and I went out to install. Pulled the rubber gasket/cover off the old switch and found a dime wedged in to the back. Removed the dime and put the cover back on and the switch now works just fine. <facepalm>

I may just install the new switch just for the hell of it.
LOL, do you have kids? Ever let them play in your truck while it sits in the driveway?

I used to keep loose change in the pocket under the radio on my old '92. Let my daughter play around in there when she was 3 or 4 and ended up with a cassette deck full of change.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Browncoat
Stoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to all

Stoic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I had an old Ranger that, when the door switch went bad, the dome light wouldn't go out, it just stayed on. The previous owner might have wedged the dime in there because he had a similar issue.
Dunno. All I know is I took the dime out and put it all back together and everything worked fine. The dime KEPT the dome light from going on when the door opened.

I just bought the Tacoma last week and it had been a one owner car. Maybe the previous owner was surveilling his wife for man visitors at night and didn't want the dome light going on when he opened the door. LOL
Old 05-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
If i had to venture a guess, the po probably left his door open frequently and when the keys are in the ignition with door open, you get the alarm going on. So he probably put the dime there so he wouldn't want to stop it with a .45 cal sized hole.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Your lights work and now you are 10cents richer. WIN/WIN if you ask me.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post

Hey Mike I used to have a '97 Ranger that had the same issues (alot of Fords still have it)

& after looking a long time for a fix I was about to just say "fuck it" when I read this guy took a can of WD40 & literally emptied it into his doorlocks,hinges, & where it latches on door frame....

Lo & Behold, it worked, Dome light & exterior cargo light worked perfectly after that
Old 05-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afwrestler1986 View Post
If i had to venture a guess, the po probably left his door open frequently and when the keys are in the ignition with door open, you get the alarm going on. So he probably put the dime there so he wouldn't want to stop it with a .45 cal sized hole.
^
Old 05-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
Browncoat

Stoic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Your lights work and now you are 10cents richer. WIN/WIN if you ask me.
True, true. I'm ten cents ahead if you don't count the $26.57 delivered cost of the part I now know I didn't really need.

Anybody need a dome light switch? haha.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoic View Post
True, true. I'm ten cents ahead if you don't count the $26.57 delivered cost of the part I now know I didn't really need.

Anybody need a dome light switch? haha.
Be glad you didn't take it to the dealer, who knows what they would have done or charged you and kept your dime!
Old 05-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #14
Browncoat

Stoic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
Be glad you didn't take it to the dealer, who knows what they would have done or charged you and kept your dime!
Yeah, ESPECIALLY the dime. They gotta screw you out of the last dime. It's in the contract.

Actually, I got a quote from an auto shop of $200-250 and I said I'll think about it. As far as my wife knows, I just saved us $250 by "fixing it myself". Shhhhh, nobody tell her.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Awww dude, you don't know how to play the cards. You tell her that you saved the family $250 and since that happened would it be okay to spend $150 on the truck? That would be another $100 in savings!!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #16
Browncoat

Stoic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Awww dude, you don't know how to play the cards. You tell her that you saved the family $250 and since that happened would it be okay to spend $150 on the truck? That would be another $100 in savings!!
I know. I already spent it.