Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

X-Cab Subwoofer Box Design Concept

Old 05-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
Jnizzle is on a distinguished road

Name: Jack
Jnizzle's Tacoma Gallery
X-Cab Subwoofer Box Design Concept

Im planning on putting a 10'' sub in the middle of the back seats, and as you know there is really little room to work with.. Here's what I came up with, both of the front seats fold back all the way, and im going to trim the back seats that fold down so the box can be about 7 1/4 wide. Its going to be mdf and fiberglass. Its gonna be a pain in the ass to build, but i like a good challenge

Obviously this is ugly as hell, but its only so I can get an idea and experiment.

What do you guys think? Seen any similar designs?

Old 05-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Seen similar ideas from mild to wild here:
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95004

For me...I like incognito. Two 10's

Old 05-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
How do those work with the seats down?
They warm the wife up pretty well when she sits back there.

They work great. I had to put the grills on and pull the covers of the outside seat hinges so they would fold down, but they work the same up or down.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post

That's what I have bookmarked.

I saw another poster do something similar and he said it rattled like hell though.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
That's what I have bookmarked.

I saw another poster do something similar and he said it rattled like hell though.

Mine doesn't.
It's all in how you prep it. I dynamatted the shit out of it, inside and out so it doesn't sound like a tin can. Semi-sealed the cracks and crevices with some foam and no rattle. Couple of stolen pics...not of my truck, but I basically did something similar:

It's not 100% air tight, but I'm not trying to win any competitions either. It's suites my needs perfectly. Adds decent low end without any sacrifice.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Mine doesn't.
It's all in how you prep it. I dynamatted the shit out of it, inside and out so it doesn't sound like a tin can. Semi-sealed the cracks and crevices with some foam and no rattle. Couple of stolen pics...not of my truck, but I basically did something similar:

It's not 100% air tight, but I'm not trying to win any competitions either. It's suites my needs perfectly. Adds decent low end without any sacrifice.
Bookmark #2
Old 05-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #7

Jnizzle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Nice, I actually have that pic saved too in my taco ideas folder

I am a car audio nut, so the design i have pictured more suites my style.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnizzle View Post

You'll have to share now that you said that.

You realize that, right?

Old 05-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnizzle View Post

I know exactly what you mean! I was the same way when I was 19. I had fat systems in all of my cars. I didn't care how much of my backseats or trunk it took up...and believe me it works to your advantage later in life. I'm partially deaf now and can't really hear women or small children when they talk....and I like it that way.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Stew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to behold

Name: Stew
Stew's Tacoma Gallery
I think what you're trying to build is this from JL for the 1st gens

Only you want to mount your sub facing up?

http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-ste...-xtracab-96-04
Old 05-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #11

Jnizzle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know exactly what you mean! I was the same way when I was 19. I had fat systems in all of my cars. I didn't care how much of my backseats or trunk it took up...and believe me it works to your advantage later in life. I'm partially deaf now and can't really hear women or small children when they talk....and I like it that way.
Haha exactly! Check out my old system, the mighty T2! I built the box btw

And the box I made for my old tundra:

Old 05-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #12

Jnizzle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
I think what you're trying to build is this from JL for the 1st gens

Only you want to mount your sub facing up?

http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-ste...-xtracab-96-04
Kind of, only mine has a little custom sauce on it
Old 05-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #13
'Murrica!
AK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Heres what i did. One downfiring type r 10" sub and it sits over the drivetrain hump in the back. Seats fully slide back and can recline the majority of the way. And it vibrates the seats a ton. In a good way.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #14

Jnizzle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Taco View Post
Heres what i did. One downfiring type r 10" sub and it sits over the drivetrain hump in the back. Seats fully slide back and can recline the majority of the way. And it vibrates the seats a ton. In a good way.

nice, any pics of it in the truck?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
'Murrica!
AK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yup:

Definetely a good amount of bass for the cab size. 10's are the way to go
Old 05-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #16
Dirty mall crawler
YotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Forrest
YotaKid62's Tacoma Gallery
I love jberrys setup, and I miss the clean look I had with mine that way, but I didn't want to tear apart my whole interior to seal it up better. Plus it would have rattled less had it not been for my cheap plastic bed liner. I say boxes are the way to go unless you have time to put into it. I'm working with different Shit though since I have 2 ,8's instead of a single 10. I like the way mine sound though now. Op, the only problems I see is getting to the seatbelt things and why does it need to be so tall? I would just make it big enough to fit the sub comfortably.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #17
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Taco View Post

Can you recline the front seats at all without hitting the box? I'm looking to do a similar box for my DC, but I still want to be able to recline the front seats back a little bit AND be able to fold the back bench seat down without moving the box...Probably a pretty tough thing to do though.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #18
'Murrica!

AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
Can you recline the front seats at all without hitting the box? I'm looking to do a similar box for my DC, but I still want to be able to recline the front seats back a little bit AND be able to fold the back bench seat down without moving the box...Probably a pretty tough thing to do though.
I can recline my seats at least half way back if not more. If the box was a bit shorter they would recline even more. I also can fold the jump seats up and down just like normal. Not sure how the bench seats fold up and down so I'm not sure if a box like this would allow a bench to fold freely. My guess is it would be fine.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #19
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
Here is my box for a kicker L7 10"

Attached Thumbnails
X-Cab Subwoofer Box Design Concept-img_0892.jpg   X-Cab Subwoofer Box Design Concept-img_0902.jpg  
Old 05-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #20

Jnizzle's Tacoma Gallery
^nice, I like how you built it all the way to the sheet metal in the back.

Check out my latest and probably final design:

makes a nice armrest for rear passengers as well as filling out the gap in between the seats when folded back. Its a downfiring 8'' sub.

Here is the sub im looking at. Its the DAD KMH 8'' @ 500w rms

Its the little guy in the middle. Sexy little speaker