Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What in the sam-hell are these things?

Old 05-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
What in the sam-hell are these things?

So I had all the lower dash trim pieces off for the past two days and when I went to put it all back together I noticed two things (electrical in nature) that are not plugged into anything (item #1) and don't have anything plugged into it (item #2) even though it looks like they should.

Rep points to whoever tells me what they are and if I am in any imminent danger of 1) randomly being ejected from my seat, 2) having my stereo Rick Roll me for the rest of its life, or 3) needing to actually do anything about it.

I assume they've been this way for 14 years, so ummm... yeah

You'll have to excuse me, I have no idea how to add circle outlines in either photobucket or iphoto and don't have photoshop or illustrator.

Item #1 (it's the small white clip in the center of the picture)

Item #1 (another view showing that white clip up close)

Item #1 (where those blue, red and yellow wires tie into... the wires running into this white clip comes through the firewall... the rest of the wires run up into the steering column)

Item #2 (it's that black box full of female connectors. In this picture go diagonally up and right from the gas pedal. It is clipped into a bracket below the ebrake. This picture doesn't give it the proper depth perception... this black box is closer to the firewall than those silver brackets that hold the dash trim and closer to the passengers than the gas pedal)

Item #2 (looking up from the floor into the black box in question)

Old 05-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
markveneris is a jewel in the roughmarkveneris is a jewel in the roughmarkveneris is a jewel in the roughmarkveneris is a jewel in the rough
Marines:
Name: mark
markveneris's Tacoma Gallery
Free Alarm mo

Look for the free alarm mod. I think the wires you have are it.
I did it to mine and it works.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
sick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant future

Name: Eric
sick 3.4 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
the black box with the female conectors is an OBD2 port to check for (check engine) lights
Old 05-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Ka like a wheel
F75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
F75gunslinger's Tacoma Gallery
Item #2 I believe is you OBDII port.It's what they plug into for diagnostics.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by markveneris View Post
Look for the free alarm mod. I think the wires you have are it.
I did it to mine and it works.
Thank you...rep coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick 3.4 tacoma View Post
the black box with the female conectors is an OBD2 port to check for (check engine) lights
Thanks you...rep coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by F75gunslinger View Post
Item #2 I believe is you OBDII port.It's what they plug into for diagnostics.
Thank you...don't worry, double rep coming because Roland is the f'n man!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't have a digital clock, that white connector could be for that.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
So I had all the lower dash trim pieces off for the past two days and when I went to put it all back together I noticed two things (electrical in nature) that are not plugged into anything (item #1) and don't have anything plugged into it (item #2) even though it looks like they should.

Rep points to whoever tells me what they are and if I am in any imminent danger of 1) randomly being ejected from my seat, 2) having my stereo Rick Roll me for the rest of its life, or 3) needing to actually do anything about it.

I assume they've been this way for 14 years, so ummm... yeah

You'll have to excuse me, I have no idea how to add circle outlines in either photobucket or iphoto and don't have photoshop or illustrator.

Item #1 (it's the small white clip in the center of the picture)

Item #1 (another view showing that white clip up close)

Item #1 (where those blue, red and yellow wires tie into... the wires running into this white clip comes through the firewall... the rest of the wires run up into the steering column)

Item #2 (it's that black box full of female connectors. In this picture go diagonally up and right from the gas pedal. It is clipped into a bracket below the ebrake. This picture doesn't give it the proper depth perception... this black box is closer to the firewall than those silver brackets that hold the dash trim and closer to the passengers than the gas pedal)

Item #2 (looking up from the floor into the black box in question)

Fixed it
Old 05-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
If you don't have a digital clock, that white connector could be for that.
I don't.

I have power locks and windows... TRD... SR5 package

And no clock

Always found that interesting - especially back in 98 way before I had a cellphone
Old 05-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
Fixed it
Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
We don't talk about what we don't talk about, I would tell you but then we would be talking about it and we don't do that. Would not want to get a bad "rep" around here.
Anyone named Fletch is alright in my book
Old 05-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
DanglingFury's Tacoma Gallery
While you were up in there you should've unplugged your door dinger. The little blue plug. I think... in mine it was blue, anyway.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanglingFury View Post
While you were up in there you should've unplugged your door dinger. The little blue plug. I think... in mine it was blue, anyway.
1. Now you tell me

2. "I think" isn't solid enough for me to start cutting wires

Old 05-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #14
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Okay. I can't remember where it was, exactly.. I know that MINE was blue. A friend of mine has a taco the same year and his was white or something else. It's up under the left side of the steering column IIRC.

I DON'T WHERE IT IS BUT I KNOW THAT WHEN YOU UNPLUG IT, IT MAKES YOU NOT WANT TO KILL PEOPLE.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #15
Creeper

AND YOU DON'T CUT IT YOU JUST UNPLUG IT.