Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Looking for good "clamp" style tie down

Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
Browncoat
Stoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to all

Stoic's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for good "clamp" style tie down

I just put a "under rail" bed liner and am looking for a good "clamp" style tie down that involves no drilling. There are these...

and I like the under mount for the rails but it looks like a tire iron could pop them right off quickly with enough force. I want to lock down my bikes safely, albeit not overnight. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Browncoat
Stoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to all

Stoic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
i wouldn't clamp anything to that thin part of the bed rail. Would just bend when you tried tying anything down.
I'm looking more to have something to lock my bicycles to as opposed to holding down any weight. Just so long as they're mostly secure and I don't have to drill holes into the rails. I wouldn't be locking them overnight, just mostly if I go into a restaurant or store with the bikes in the back.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Why not use the existing tie-down on the corners? They are sturdy enough to lock something down, and although they just screw in, for what you need it I am sure it will be secure enough.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have to add that I am also looking for tie-downs to add along the rail. I always use bungy cords to tie lightweight items down and I just hook it underneath the rail, but it only works if I go directly accross, anything diagonal slides. I don't have a need to lock anything down though.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
i wouldn't clamp anything to that thin part of the bed rail. Would just bend when you tried tying anything down.
True about the flimsy rail. I have been thinking about using a piece of angle iron the length of the bed, and weld chain links or u-bolts every foot or so to it. Then attach the angle iron to the rail, with the one side vertical against the rail, and the horizontal part under the rail to the outside so it does not interfere with the bed width. That will reinforce the rail and provide a hook every foot to hook a bungy cord, strap etc. to.
Maybe this will work for your needs, OP.