Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Headlight restoration????? :(

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
Ihavataco98 is a name known to allIhavataco98 is a name known to allIhavataco98 is a name known to allIhavataco98 is a name known to allIhavataco98 is a name known to allIhavataco98 is a name known to all
Ihavataco98's Tacoma Gallery
Headlight restoration????? :(

I tried this expensive kit and found it to be a gimmik it worked for a week.... so the question is how do i restore my headlights to the norm and get rid of the milky chalky flim arround them. My blue hids would sure appreciate it.... and i would too. so if you have had problems like me and fixed it, i sure would appreciate it! Thanks everyone. JV
Old 05-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
3Mô Headlight Lens Restoration System

3Mô Headlight Lens Restoration System

Frank

http://youtu.be/_t1RBw0IGXA
Old 05-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Ihavataco98 is a name known to allIhavataco98 is a name known to allIhavataco98 is a name known to allIhavataco98 is a name known to allIhavataco98 is a name known to allIhavataco98 is a name known to all
I like, does it work forever or do you have to keep doing it every month or two?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
Texasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud of

Name: Chance
Texasdynaryder's Tacoma Gallery
Use the 3M from any auto parts store. I did both my 99 and 04 last weekend ... don't expect brand new but its pretty darn good
Old 05-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't bother to watch the video but from what I remember is after you are done polishing the lense's there is a sealer to be applied so to make the job last longer.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
The 3M kit does not come with a finisher clear coat.

They sell that separately. You HAVE to finish it with that clear coat or else they will be hazy and yellow within a few months.

Here's the day I restored mine with the 3M kit (didn't know about the clear coat finisher)

8 months later they looked exactly like they did before I restored it.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
if you go to a carwash, ( a u wash it) don't use the high pressure directly on the headlights, and only try to use a mild cleaner on the plastic, combo of both, is not good for them. its not the only cause of this, UV light, and a combo of being outside does this but these are two things you can try to control, I know its hard then they get dirty. but yes the 3m kit is good, but you need the clear-coat.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
The Harbor Freight $10 kit did wonders on my lens! I tried using a cordless drill and really messed up... It wasn't fast enough. I exchanged the kit for another and used a electric drill... Much faster and polished up perfectly.

x2 on a sealant. Even some wax worked well to finish off my lens.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
Barbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Barbaro's Tacoma Gallery
1 part Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane Clear Gloss
1 part mineral spirits
1500, 2000 and 3000 grit sand paper

Sand then coat with Urethane and Mineral Spirits Mixture.

You are varnishing your headlights

This last a long time

Look at my post in "what have you done to your tacoma today" for pictures
Old 05-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaro View Post
1 part Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane Clear Gloss
1 part mineral spirits
1500, 2000 and 3000 grit sand paper

Sand then coat with Urethane and Mineral Spirits Mixture.

You are varnishing your headlights

This last a long time

Look at my post in "what have you done to your tacoma today" for pictures
I highly doubt anyone is going to be able to, or want to read, anything you ever post.

Might want to change your sig

Old 05-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
Barbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Barbaro's Tacoma Gallery
Sig is here to stay. Now you can scroll down and know its me.

This is what you need:

Old 05-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaro View Post
Sig is here to stay. Now you can scroll down and know its me.
That barrel is perfection!!!
Old 05-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
thank goodness my girlfriends ass and chest look like that, shes a southern delight in every way . but im gonna try the 3m system because it looks like it would work. ill let yall know for sure. thanks guys
Old 05-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #14

Be sure to post pics...

... of your girlfriend

Old 05-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
I just use a rotary buffer, wool pad and some good polish (doesn't have to be CSI !). It lasted about two years for me and I just redid mine last month.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #16

boshak's Tacoma Gallery
HF lens restorer is on sale right now... $8.99 if you get the weekly ad plus 20% off coupon!

Read the reviews and my previous comment... Good stuff!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #17
Mxer256 will become famous soon enough

Name: Tyler
Mxer256's Tacoma Gallery
I went to autozone and bout 800grit, 1000 grit, and then 2000 grit wetsand sandpaper. Started with 800 and worked up to the 2000. After that i used a buffer and used a rubbing compound to buff then i took a sealant wax and buffed it with that...they look brand new
Old 05-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #18
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxer256 View Post
I went to autozone and bout 800grit, 1000 grit, and then 2000 grit wetsand sandpaper. Started with 800 and worked up to the 2000. After that i used a buffer and used a rubbing compound to buff then i took a sealant wax and buffed it with that...they look brand new
I've done the wetsand to buffer method before and found it works well on really trashed headlights. I typically go straight from 1000 or 1500 grit to the wool pad.

However, if the headligths aren't too bad, I prefer to go straight to the buffer. Last time I did mine I used CSI Cut N Polish with a wool pad at about 1000 RPM and the whole job took about 10 minutes.

Tom Horvath, who was the formulator for SYSTEM ONE and now is the formulator for CSI, goes from 600 grit right to the wool pad. But he has 40 years of buffing experience.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
scoobydann is on a distinguished road
scoobydann's Tacoma Gallery
Gotta agree with barbaro....despite the sig

these were done with a high end spray clear but i have also used the spar\spirits method.

these are my neighbors and they are still clear as day

anything you buy off the shelf is only smoothing out the lens as opposed to cleaning the lens with different grit spaper and re-clearing it..ie: its not going to last.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #20
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone here tried razor blades? Hold em perpendicular to the lenses and scrape off that layer of yellow junk then buff em clean with "insert product name" whatever product and a buffer. I've seen it done first hand, never done it though

Products Discussed in this Thread