1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need AC advice

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by sunflower, May 6, 2012.

1. May 6, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    sunflower

sunflower [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a 2002 Tacoma V6 with automatic trans and 97,000 miles. At 90,000 miles I had the AC "fixed" because it wouldnt blow cold air.

I am not sure what they did but it cost $300 and after they were done it would only blow mildly cool air. Now, it wont even blow mildly cool air anymore.

I believe they simply "re-charged" my system. (if thats possible)

So now, if I want to make SURE that it will work properly and blow COLD air, what do I have to do ? Do I need a new compressor ?

I will be in Vegas this whole summer and I absolutely need this thing to work and to work well.

2. May 6, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    They did a "shoot and boot". Recharged it and hoped it would last long enough that you wouldn't come back and complain. Your system probably has a leak in it somewhere. You can add dye into the freon to see where it'd leaking from.

3. May 6, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    sunflower

Member:
    would a new compressor help anything or is that not the problem ?

4. May 6, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    well if they charged you 300 dollars for a recharge, I can't use the words to describe that here.

right now you have a problem with it, do not turn it on, period. try to find a good ac shop around you, google it and check out reviews. do you have the receipt for the last shop? Its important to keep all receipts, for repairs and parts.

if does sound like you have a leak, do not use the stop leak stuff in a can, that stuff is garbage, and 9 times out of ten all it will do is clog up your system and ruin it.

this does not require a dealership, only as last resort. there is nothing special about ac's in cars that require going to a dealership unless its under warranty. the only reason I would suggest a dealership as last resort, is that your chances are less than getting ripped off, but these days that is almost a laugh.

5. May 6, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Go to Wal-mart and buy there do it yourself recharge kit $39, see how long that last.

6. May 6, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    I wouldn't waste another $39 on a recharge when it's obvious you have a problem that needs attention. If you don't have a vacuum pump and AC gauge setup, then you are going to have to take it to someone.

They will most likely pull vacuum to run a rate of rise test (poor man' leak check). This test will indicate if you are leaking anything. If you are, a $10 seal kit will replace all of your o-rings in the system.

Next, they will recharge it. If it takes the charge, they will kick on the compressor and see if the high pressure lines build pressure higher than the low pressure side. If the compressor is crap, it won't.

I bet it is one or both of those things.

Bottom line: find a reputable place to take it to and make them explain what they are doing before they do anything or charge you for it. Give it the sniff test by getting on here and getting opinions before giving them the "okay" to do anything.

7. May 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM
    sunflower

Member:
    great thanks for the advice. i'll take it to an AC shop

Products Discussed in

To Top