Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need AC advice

Old 05-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Banned
sunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to behold
sunflower's Tacoma Gallery
Need AC advice

I have a 2002 Tacoma V6 with automatic trans and 97,000 miles. At 90,000 miles I had the AC "fixed" because it wouldnt blow cold air.

I am not sure what they did but it cost $300 and after they were done it would only blow mildly cool air. Now, it wont even blow mildly cool air anymore.

I believe they simply "re-charged" my system. (if thats possible)

So now, if I want to make SURE that it will work properly and blow COLD air, what do I have to do ? Do I need a new compressor ?

I will be in Vegas this whole summer and I absolutely need this thing to work and to work well.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
They did a "shoot and boot". Recharged it and hoped it would last long enough that you wouldn't come back and complain. Your system probably has a leak in it somewhere. You can add dye into the freon to see where it'd leaking from.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Banned
sunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to behold
would a new compressor help anything or is that not the problem ?
Old 05-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
well if they charged you 300 dollars for a recharge, I can't use the words to describe that here.

right now you have a problem with it, do not turn it on, period. try to find a good ac shop around you, google it and check out reviews. do you have the receipt for the last shop? Its important to keep all receipts, for repairs and parts.

if does sound like you have a leak, do not use the stop leak stuff in a can, that stuff is garbage, and 9 times out of ten all it will do is clog up your system and ruin it.

this does not require a dealership, only as last resort. there is nothing special about ac's in cars that require going to a dealership unless its under warranty. the only reason I would suggest a dealership as last resort, is that your chances are less than getting ripped off, but these days that is almost a laugh.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Go to Wal-mart and buy there do it yourself recharge kit $39, see how long that last.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't waste another $39 on a recharge when it's obvious you have a problem that needs attention. If you don't have a vacuum pump and AC gauge setup, then you are going to have to take it to someone.

They will most likely pull vacuum to run a rate of rise test (poor man' leak check). This test will indicate if you are leaking anything. If you are, a $10 seal kit will replace all of your o-rings in the system.

Next, they will recharge it. If it takes the charge, they will kick on the compressor and see if the high pressure lines build pressure higher than the low pressure side. If the compressor is crap, it won't.

I bet it is one or both of those things.

Bottom line: find a reputable place to take it to and make them explain what they are doing before they do anything or charge you for it. Give it the sniff test by getting on here and getting opinions before giving them the "okay" to do anything.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
Banned
great thanks for the advice. i'll take it to an AC shop