1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear wheel Bearings bad?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mytacoma04, May 6, 2012.

1. May 6, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    mytacoma04

mytacoma04 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Pueblo
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Hi: I'm new to this forum, but I have a 04 Taco that i bought 7 months ago. It has just 55K miles on it, and I'm certain of the miles. My problem is the rear wheel bearings are going out. Is this typical for this low of miles? Thanks in advance. I'd love to know if this is something others have experienced. :)

2. May 6, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    An 04 with 55k may be bad because it sounds like the truck sits a lot. Believe it or not, but if a truck doesn't move, ie, the bearing isn't moving, the bearing will actually take an oval set if it sits for long enough. Thus causing a premature failure.

I have 190,000 on my original bearings.

It kind of goes with the old adage: if you don't use it, you lose it.

3. May 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Not typical.

We have an 04 at work with 150K on it and original bearings. OTOH we have an 05 that needed rear bearings at 80K. The 05 was overloaded fairly regularly.

4. May 6, 2012 at 11:33 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    my 99 lasted till 180k miles till the rear bearings went out. not to difficult to change in your driveway if you have time and a bfh.

pull the wheel, pinch rubber brake line above axle, remove ebrake cable, remove solid brake line from back of hub, remove the 4 12mm nuts holding axle shaft on, pull ALL the way out, dont sit it down inside of axle shaft, there is a seal thats important. then cut off old cuff, using hammer, and pipe, bang off old bearing on the ground, making sure entire axle is going down straight not to hurt the splines. use heat if needed to coax it. then reassemble in reverse process. only real bummer is having to bleed the brakes.

the diff is "semi floating", so you MIGHT lose 2oz of diff fluid, unless your diff is overfilled.

5. May 7, 2012 at 8:12 AM
    mytacoma04

mytacoma04 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Pueblo
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Hey thanks for all the informative responses! I would guess that TacomaJPP is right, when I look at the underside of this vehicles, it looks new. Probably garaged a lot! And thanks for the tips to repair...........

Products Discussed in

To Top