Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New sound...throw out bearing??

Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
New sound...throw out bearing??

OK...so oddly enough I have a new sound [right] after removing my body lift...but strangely I dont think its related to removing the BL.

It sounds like (going to sound weird) someone lightly rubbing two pummice stones together. Its very faint, happens at idle and at cruising RPM's. When I am idling it goes away when I press the clutch in.

TOB??

Hope not...

No other details for now. And I dont think I can get it on audio because its so quiet.

Opinions?
Old 05-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
Probably TOB. Every manual tranny (Chevy, Toyota) I've ever owned had a TOB start whining at about 60,000.

Run to failure or until new clutch time. My current TOB has been complaining for about 130,000 miles.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
that could be it, now I am not lying, buy I have only had one clutch wear out on me from a car I bought new. my 92 ser, after 240,000 miles it started making a weired noise at idle, not loud at first... then on cold mornings when she was cold it was louder, I was still in NC not too cold, then after a few months when I stared to engage the clutch, it would make a very loud "wirrrl" noise, that is the only way I can describe it. that loud noise was its death rattle, next day she failed at the dealership! had to push her in the shop.... they did not believe it was the original until they got in and saw the parts.
its hard to say how long they will last, my uncle had a 95 f350 with a 455cid, 5speed, that went for years until it failed. needless to say, don't ride the clutch, I don't know if you do off roading, and I don't know alot about that but I would watch the stress on it. I know my uncle was careful about not putting too much stress on the truck, he would take off easy if she was loaded down.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
yeah..178K miles.

I was planning on doing the clutch *sorta* soon.

Might do it sooner then.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes, and i will say, the clutch is one of the things I hate to do on any car.....the only one I helped with was my first car the 72 mach 1, it was a 4 speed, and you want to talk about a job...... shit.... and we did it in the garage, of the freight company my grandfather was the manager. and I got a steel splinter 3" long ran up under my thumb nail... and they had to do the pain shot there and the tetanus shot there, don't ask me why... last one I did....
wish I could do the leaf springs.... but I need tie end rods, outer and inner, and ( I have been really studying the ball joints.. they don't seem too bad, but) you know the rest.
did the slave cylinder, and it really did make a lot of difference, thanks for the write up.
prob. by early summer I will have my truck stash built back so I can just do it all at one time, new struts coils in front, new leafs shackles, and shocks in the rear.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
If the noise goes away when you press on the clutch lightly, it's the TOB. If it only stops when the clutch is actually pushed all the way down, it's the bearings/gears in the transmission. If it's the transmission, you've likely got some time before it's going to actually go out. Our 04 2wd 2.4 5 speed at work has been doing this for the last 50K miles.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #7

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
If the noise goes away when you press on the clutch lightly, it's the TOB. If it only stops when the clutch is actually pushed all the way down, it's the bearings/gears in the transmission. If it's the transmission, you've likely got some time before it's going to actually go out. Our 04 2wd 2.4 5 speed at work has been doing this for the last 50K miles.
But the bearings/gears in the tranny will only make noise if the truck is moving, right?

Because I have only noticed the clutch affecting it at idle.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #8

Quote:
now I am only trying to help, ok, I have never had a transmission, or gears bad on me, but this goes back to the mustang, and this was just white trash... .but a year later, the transmission started leaking oil, it needed a new main seal, so I had to save up, was going to let a garage do it, and it took a few months, so every 2-3 weeks I had to stop in a garage and have them refill the transmission, and I would know it was low when it started to moan, and it was in the first two gears, but this was a different deeper sound and if you listen the throwout bearing is forward, and the transmission noise would come up beside the driver. since i have been under mine a lot, is should be the same...listen to see if the sound is coming up by the stick, that is where the noise was on the F350... hope is some help.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
could also be carrier bearing on driveshaft. similar characteristics to when mine went out.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
But the bearings/gears in the tranny will only make noise if the truck is moving, right?

Because I have only noticed the clutch affecting it at idle.
The transmission input shaft and all gears are spinning with the trans in neutral and clutch pedal up with the engine idling.

I have been able to hear the manual trans at idle in every Toyota I've ever driven. There is a normal noise level, anything above that is a cause for concern.

If you only hear it at idle, and it's not that loud, it may just be normal. My 86 4x4 did it even after the trans was rebuilt. My work truck is an 09 and I can hear it too. My 06 is actually really noticeable, but that's supposed to be normal for the earlier six speed transmissions, and it's the same now as it was 20K miles ago.

If you just now noticed it after major work on the truck, have you considered that you may just be focused on it now?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #11

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensystemsgo View Post
could also be carrier bearing on driveshaft. similar characteristics to when mine went out.
just replaced my carrier bearing. But I will look at it because I went aftermarket, not OEM.

Quote:
The transmission input shaft and all gears are spinning with the trans in neutral and clutch pedal up with the engine idling.

I have been able to hear the manual trans at idle in every Toyota I've ever driven. There is a normal noise level, anything above that is a cause for concern.

If you only hear it at idle, and it's not that loud, it may just be normal. My 86 4x4 did it even after the trans was rebuilt. My work truck is an 09 and I can hear it too. My 06 is actually really noticeable, but that's supposed to be normal for the earlier six speed transmissions, and it's the same now as it was 20K miles ago.

If you just now noticed it after major work on the truck, have you considered that you may just be focused on it now?
It could be a possibility that now that the body is 3'' closer to the tranny (where its SUPPOSED to be) that now I hear a sound that has been normal all along.

I will just keep an eye (an ear) on it.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
No Money. No Love.
SmogSUX is on a distinguished road

SmogSUX's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on throw out bearing. I've had them make noise for 10k miles without issues, so don't worry about it. I just make sure to replace it when I finally replace the clutch.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
PL.TACOMA is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
PL.TACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
If the noise goes away when the clutch is all the way pressed in, it is definitely the input shaft bearing inside of the transmission.

I have a Civic with 450,000 miles on it, the input shaft bearing started making noise at around 300,000.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #14

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PL.TACOMA View Post
If the noise goes away when the clutch is all the way pressed in, it is definitely the input shaft bearing inside of the transmission.

I have a Civic with 450,000 miles on it, the input shaft bearing started making noise at around 300,000.
It goes away when the clutch is pushed in like half way
Old 05-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #15
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
This was my TO bearing...

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=IMG_0241.mp4
Old 05-08-2012, 05:43 AM   #16

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
yeah. Mine isn't nearly that loud. And isn't "squeaky" like that.

I am also having whistling/whining type sound that seems to be coming from the tranny at highway cruising speeds that didn't ever happen before.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #17

now give me some slack on this I had a stroke a few years ago, but that what is going on with your truck sounds like the lead-up on my old nissan. I was working alot in those days, which is why I just went to the dealership where I bought the car so if there was any problems with there work I would have some leverage. If your tranny fluid is full and I am sure you know it is that is all I can think of. good luck.