Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

SHOCKS!!!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
dirty lung is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
dirty lung's Tacoma Gallery
Question SHOCKS!!!

Ok sorry guys I looked around and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I have a 6" suspension lift and I want to replace my shocks. Do I need longer shocks? And what are good shocks that won't make my bank account go hungry. I have ranchos on there now. Thanks for the help
Old 05-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
what kind of lift? any pics?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
The lift was on the truck when I purchased it. No body lift. In the rear it has block and shackle I think. I wish I could get a pic up for you but I'm working off my iPhone and I don't think I can get pictures on here with tgat
Old 05-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Need pics of the lift for us to know what you need.

More than likely you have drop bracket lift. Unless you have the trail master (fail master) lift...then good luck finding front struts.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
It's not a trail master lift. I could txt you some pics
Old 05-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Get the photobucket app for the iPhone.

Take pics, upload to photobucket, then embed the photos in your post
Old 05-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
I really just need to replace the rear shocks they seem to be leaking
Old 05-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
Photobucket app will do thanks
Old 05-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty lung View Post
It's not a trail master lift. I could txt you some pics
Well rears will be easy. Just order shocks that are long enough for your lift.

Fronts I am not sure about. Not too well versed on DB lifts..lol
Old 05-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
waiting for pics.....
Old 05-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #11
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
Well rears will be easy. Just order shocks that are long enough for your lift.

Fronts I am not sure about. Not too well versed on DB lifts..lol
most just use stock replacement shocks I believe unless you have a stage 2 lift.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #12
Ok thanks guys. Like I said the lift was on the truck sorry for the DB question over time I'm going to get some better equipment. Thanks again next time I'll get some pics up
Old 05-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
Old 05-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #14
Old 05-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #15
Old 05-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #16
Pics are up I think?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #17
braaap

I don't think Ive ever seen leaf springs so worn out!

Anyway, it looks like you are running the stock strut assembly with a 6 inch spacer for the drop bracket lift. You could just get some 5100's for the front and custom length 5150's ??? I think... for the rear.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #18
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
so heres the deal. your suspension is shot. see how your leaf is level, even somewhat of a negative arch? shot. i have something like a foot and a half between my bumps on just springs, 3" lift springs, all pro expos.

The other issues are its a block lift. get away from that, alot of shearing weakness at that point, as well as prematurely worn out leafs.

I see in the front is also a ghetto lift using a massive spacer.

None of it is done "properly.", and because of that all of your suspension components are completely worn out.

allpro leaf pack, eibachs, and billsteins all around. win win.

Back to the task on hand, shocks.dont know what the current models are, but you need to find ones that are longer then stock, which unfortunately off hand im not sure what they are. it actually looks like a 3" block lift, so 3" longer then stock maybe?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #19
So if I got a bigger leaf pack could I just do away with the blocks?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #20

Quote:
So if I got a bigger leaf pack could I just do away with the blocks?
yes. all pro offers a 3" and 6" rear leaf pack. six will put higher angle on your u-joints and diff, so id reccomend some shims, but still its pushing all limits.

https://www.allprooffroad.com/9504ta...504leafsprings

as for the front, im not aware of any system that does NOT utilize drop brackets or blocks besides a spindle lift (3inch) with a 3" suspension lift. (provided your prerunner, you are a prerunner right?)