Notices

2.5 in. Spacer question

Old 05-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
USCG
TACOTWENTY4 is on a distinguished road

Name: James
TACOTWENTY4's Tacoma Gallery
2.5 in. Spacer question

My son has a '98 Tacoma and wants to put the 2.5in Daystar spacer up front and the AAL on the rear to get some lift. I've read that the spacer makes for a crappy ride. If so, is that on rough terrain or normal driving? He'll basically be on the pavement and hardpacked logging roads.
My original plan was Billsteins up front and rear AAL but, he has a little cash and is a typical 16 year old with little patience. Thanks
Old 05-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
On here you'll get a vast majority in opposition to spacers/blocks. Especially big ones. Billy's would be an upgrade. Spacer, downgrade. Shock + spacer will ride stiff on and off road from what I've read
Old 05-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
It will give him a rough ride on both pavement and off road.

Safe up the $$$, not much more, and get the Bilsteins up from and rear AAL.

With the spacer, you're preloading a stock spring and strut that won't have the dampening capabilities to handle that amount of preload on the spring. With the bilsteins, even though you're preloading the strut by setting the bilstein 5100 strut to 2.5 of lift, you'll have a much smoother ride because that strut can handle the preload with relatively superior dampening characteristics.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
Only downside to 5100s - they are on backorder till probably mid-June/July... I am waiting as well.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post
It will give him a rough ride on both pavement and off road.

Safe up the $$$, not much more, and get the Bilsteins up from and rear AAL.

With the spacer, you're preloading a stock spring and strut that won't have the dampening capabilities to handle that amount of preload on the spring. With the bilsteins, even though you're preloading the strut by setting the bilstein 5100 strut to 2.5 of lift, you'll have a much smoother ride because that strut can handle the preload with relatively superior dampening characteristics.
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippin101 View Post
Only downside to 5100s - they are on backorder till probably mid-June/July... I am waiting as well.

this is most unfortunate..
Old 05-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
X10000 on what people have said about spacers. Tell him to save up and do it right the first time, or go back later to fix the mistakes he made.

Bilstein 5100's are actually only slightly more expensive than a spacer kit.

There is always OME if you dont want to wait. Its a bit more money, but many say those kits ride better then bilsteins.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
Rebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the rough

Name: Tyler
Rebel Taco Man's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2in spacer only up front that i bought off of ebay, it gives a decent ride, i like my ride better with the spacer cause its stiffer, but to some they may not, i go off road just about every weekend, not bad trails, but some mud holes, and 4-wheeler trails, it isnt bad plus its my daily driver. there is some things that worry me, and thats breaking the strut, or busting shocks, cause the spacers are bad about causin that.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
USCG
TACOTWENTY4 is on a distinguished road

Name: James
TACOTWENTY4's Tacoma Gallery
He chocked, haha. Ordered the 2.5 inch daystar spacer and a 2 inch AAL. Says he rode in one with spacers and liked it. I say BS, he's going for cool. I'll post a picture when it's installed. Oh, they did say a few more months if you're waiting on the Billsteins.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #9
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

Name: Austin
austinramsay's Tacoma Gallery
Im 16 with not much cash too, I got 3" spacer lift on mine just for a couple months until i can afford 5100s all the way around. Paid $60 with shipping on ebay Rides fine, couldnt tell much of a difference.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOTWENTY4 View Post
He chocked, haha. Ordered the 2.5 inch daystar spacer and a 2 inch AAL. Says he rode in one with spacers and liked it. I say BS, he's going for cool. I'll post a picture when it's installed. Oh, they did say a few more months if you're waiting on the Billsteins.
damn..oh well..he will come around..

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinramsay View Post
Im 16 with not much cash too, I got 3" spacer lift on mine just for a couple months until i can afford 5100s all the way around. Paid $60 with shipping on ebay Rides fine, couldnt tell much of a difference.

you obviously need to ride in a properly lifted truck.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
Taco or Die
Phearson is on a distinguished road

Name: Brad
Phearson's Tacoma Gallery
I have a revtek 2.5 spacer with a block in the rear. It was cheap and gave me what i was looking for in ride height and that thing has sen many snowy trails
Old 05-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #12
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOTWENTY4 View Post
My son has a '98 Tacoma and wants to put the 2.5in Daystar spacer up front and the AAL on the rear to get some lift. I've read that the spacer makes for a crappy ride. If so, is that on rough terrain or normal driving? He'll basically be on the pavement and hardpacked logging roads.
My original plan was Billsteins up front and rear AAL but, he has a little cash and is a typical 16 year old with little patience. Thanks
Do it right the first time, you and your kid will be glad you did Just wait until june and save up some more money and get the 5100s for all 4 corners from Downsouth Motorsports. New front 2.5" lift shocks and new rear shocks for $295 shipped (with TW discount) with the 2" AAL lift for the rear. Pretty cheap but still pretty decent lift.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #13
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
arent your rear shocks leaking in under a year of mild use?

So here is the skinny, lots of people on here will tell you spend all the extra money yada yada yada. is it really that necessary? i say no. if he wanted to have a better ride, he would be looking at high end suspension parts. he wants a lift. spacers are a great way of doing that on a budget.

A lot of people here that bad mouth spacers have never even had them on their own vehicles to make a good judgement, they just hear many others here talk about how shitty the ride is and that opinion spreads like wildfire.

I recently installed a spacer lift up front and a very beefy AAL out back. and guess what!? it really doesnt ride all that bad. Before the lift i was running on sagging OEM suspension that was very squishy feeling when driving around. the front spacers did infact firm it up a bit but back to where i think the ride up front is perfect. probably very close to how it was from the factory i bet.

On the back, i threw on a procomp AAL which are very beefy and they are listed as a firm riding AAL. Before i installed it, with the canopy on the bed, my springs were frowning with negative arch. Since the install, the rear is very firmed. this is also amplified by the fact that i removed the shell so there is barely any weight over them. Is it a bad ride? no. it still needs to settle and should soften once i run some weight in the rear for a bit and then it should be right on par with the front and able to carry more weight than before without sagging.

Now it is my understanding that the daystar lift uses a top plate spacer that goes on top of the assembly. Many people that know so much about how bad spacers ride for some reason dont realize that there are different types of spacers the daystar lift being on top of the assembly allow it to retain a factory ride. the other common type of spacer is the one that goes between the top of the coil and the top plate. this is the spacer that creates the rough ride. it preloads the coil which the valving in the shock isnt tuned to.

For what your son wants, it is a perfect set up really.

For me, although my lift was a gift, it still was pieced together for less than one bilstien 5100 shock. damn good deal if you ask me.

true for just lifing it works just fine. Offroad..not so much.

Your stock shocks are limited in travel. Thats whats the big inprovement over the 5100s set a 2.5''. Do they do the same thing as a spacer? yes, they precompress the coil BUT the 5100 shock is made for lift applications and can take the extra height.

You spacers + stock shocks..do not do that..

your jepordizing your suspention much more then if you had the proper length of shock.

its cheap for a reason..will it work for a while? yes..but you should really get rid of it ASAP especially if you wheel a lot.

Top mount spacers are the same story for the most part. Here you tend to over compress them with these type of spacers..other then if you use them on a properlly built shock. But even then, you shouldn't get to crazy with them.

AALs are fine for lifting...for a while..AALs are basically just a bandaid for bad leaf packs. Our trucks leafs are notoriously bad after a time..and there are manny options for getting new packs. But a Good AAL will hold you off for up to over a year of hard driving and hauling sometimes. But again..it'll still wear out and you'll have flat leafs again. Only a bandaid

as for my shocks leaking Ben..those are 5150s and that is also due to the wrong length of shock. So yes, perfect example. They are to short. So i over compressed them. Much like how you are over extended your stock shocks. Im already am lined out to fix them after Moab.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #14
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
thats all true, BUT the key here is, his son isnt trying to build a hard core off road rig.

mine will work for what i wheel and such. im not going to air out the truck or anything stupid like that, that would be asking for it. but for the OP a spacer lift is a perfect way for his son to lift his truck. hell i mobbed my truck pretty hard through the ditches and ravines and it did just fine. im a minority here, but spacers have a purpose and arent ALL BAD or else they wouldnt be so popular.

they aren't popular..not on any toyota forum i am on...lol

and i wouldn't put em on a truck with a 16 year old driving..that kid is just gonna push that truck so hard past its limits anyways...not a good idea..
Old 05-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #17
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

i never said they were perfect. not my words they have their place though. Also "better" ride is subjective. the ride now is better to me than the spongy ride before it was on there.
thats BASICALLY what you are saying. every spacer thread that comes up you are in it advocating spacer lifts and saying how all of the negatives are just panic responses and isolated incidents (like body lifts) lol. And that whole subjective ride is better argument is so tilted and you know it haha!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #18

Quote:
well because people will bash them for no other reason than what they read some where else. do you have first hand experience with them? No. so tell me mark, how do spacers ride?

And it isnt tilted. what do you like better, boobs or ass? is that subjective enough for you?
i hope you are not getting mad or defensive. you have had them for what? a month or two? So how much experience do you REALLY have with them. Let me know how great they are 2 years from now and if you would keep them over some new shocks or coils. Its subjective but its still comparing crap to slightly improved crap.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #19

Quote:
nope i have other things draining me this week
in a couple months ive also driven 2k miles and wheeled it decently ill bet you ill still have them on in 2 years as i finish school.its because you are poor

Ask me this mark, what percentage of my miles in one year were on the pavement versus off the pavement? go. guess
k good, this is supposed to be a friendly debate.

i dont really want to ask how many miles you have driven on what nor do i need to. Its just a fact that new shocks and,or coils are better. If not then why were you FREAKING out when you first got them. Its a chunk or metal stuck on top of the coil...the worst lift after body lifts...im secretly waiting for the proverbial foot in mouth when some fluke happens and you snap a shock.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #20
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
nope, your truck better run this time around. just know, that i will rub it in your face if i make it through something you dont.

i never said they were perfect. not my words they have their place though. Also "better" ride is subjective. the ride now is better to me than the spongy ride before it was on there.
well its the long term that the ride gets real bad due to the stress the stock coils have been put on and the stock shock.

and i better not break down lol and im sure you will make it over stuff i wont, that locker is a pretty big advantage..although who knows..

Quote:
nope i have other things draining me this week
in a couple months ive also driven 2k miles and wheeled it decently ill bet you ill still have them on in 2 years as i finish school.

Ask me this mark, what percentage of my miles in one year were on the pavement versus off the pavement? go. guess

i sure hope you don't have them on in 2 years..your trucks coils and leafs were soggy enough last year..this bandaid ain't gonna last that long..