1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Battery died like RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Sign Guy, May 7, 2012.

1. May 7, 2012 at 5:42 AM
    Sign Guy

Sign Guy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    DrugRunner V6, 2wd
    Nice Rims, Big Tires, Carryboy Shell, Added Rosta Cruise Control & Ultraguage, 5100 Bilsteins All around
    I bought the truck a yr or so ago and it had a brand new battery (some budget brand but brand new). It has worked flawlessly until yesterday. I took the dog to the park and an hr later, I turn the key and nothing, no horn, light, nothing. I check fuses and everything looks great. Thank goodness for AAA. I give them a jingle and 1/2 hr later the guy comes out, we try a jump and fires right up. I drive home and park in front of the house, an hour later I go out and dead. I get online to check prices for a new one and nobody puts them on and those that do are crazy prices, like $90-$250. I hate going to all the stores to check on prices, any suggestions on decent prices for a new battery. I do not want a budget battery like the one they put in, but I don't want a super expensive one either. I'm going to sell it myself in a few months and it runs like a top and I don't want the new owner to have any issues for years - just the way I am.

Thanks,

2. May 7, 2012 at 5:45 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Did you check for loose battery connections or corroded connections?

3. May 7, 2012 at 5:58 AM
    LDurchy

LDurchy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cedar Falls, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    When I buy a battery I check Consumer's Guide for ratings. When I buy, I tell them I want the biggest number of cranking amps I can close the hood over. I get serious winters here in Iowa so amps rule when its cold. My current battery is the red top Optima. It was installed before 2001. The claim to fame for the Optima series is they are less affected by high temps and vibration. It was a high dollar battery, but if you factor in no starter related tows from battery issues, it gets cheaper/year. Last year I had the dealer do a free amp. check while my pickup was in for an oil change. The reading was 938 amps.

4. May 7, 2012 at 6:02 AM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    i would recommend either auto zone or a red optima battery. Auto zone is cheap and have good power in their battery. Optima is a sealed battery,you can mount in any way, and has a little more power in them,but they do cost more

5. May 7, 2012 at 6:33 AM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    I have this battery as of 2 years ago. Have had zero problems so far (especially in VT winters), and it even survived 6 months of sitting while I lived in Australia. When I got home, I plugged her right back in and she started the truck right back up!

It's also 1/3 cheaper than the optima.

6. May 7, 2012 at 6:50 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Everyone will tell you the brand battery they bought is the best. I personally have been using Duralast Gold batteries from Auto Zone for the last 10 years on several of my vehicles and they have held up GREAT.

[​IMG]

7. May 7, 2012 at 6:59 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Optima went to shit...I'd recommend Duralast or Die Hard from Sears.

8. May 7, 2012 at 7:02 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    I'll have to look at what's in my truck because I've never changed it once since owning it (13 years).

And I doubt the owner changed it within one year of its life.

9. May 7, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    So true. I would say that the good brands are Interstate, Duralast, and Die Hard. Optima seems pretty good, but I have heard of theirs failing randomly so it appears to be hit or miss (more hit though). They are also quite expensive.

10. May 7, 2012 at 7:37 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    hello, if you have a wet cell battery, have you checked the water level in it?
    and only use distilled water in it. sears and the duralast are good batteries, just keep your receipt as a back up.
    Now I don't agree with this, but my uncle has a welding shop, and a large old portable welder, he would sometime use, and he would get wal-mart batteries and yes since he was not running it a lot and they would die, he would take it back, (3 year no question warranty) and get a new one.

11. May 7, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    Sign Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    DrugRunner V6, 2wd
    Nice Rims, Big Tires, Carryboy Shell, Added Rosta Cruise Control & Ultraguage, 5100 Bilsteins All around
    Thanks for the tips!

12. May 7, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    Ihavataco98

Ihavataco98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    stinger batterys

13. May 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    aznutx

aznutx Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 White TRD
    i've had optima red tops in all my vehicles and they working great, but i only got them because at the time i got a good deal over any other budget brand. my 2c

14. May 7, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    X2, sounds to me like it's not actually the battery. Take the battery to auto zone and have it tested. If it was really dead it would take time to charge enough to jump it. Like a couple minutes instead of a couple seconds...

15. May 8, 2012 at 5:36 AM
    Sign Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    DrugRunner V6, 2wd
    I think it might be a wet cell so I'll check the fluid level.

All connections are tighter than tight and I can't budge them.

To bad I didn't check for a battery at O'reily's yesterday, I was looking for something else (in addition to the battery) and Barbi behind the counter through off my concentration :D I guess I'll have to go back;)

16. May 8, 2012 at 5:42 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    I was having starting issues during the winter when it got cold and at first I thought it was the battery but finally the truck died at a set of lights and I had to push it out of the way. Turned out it was an alternator dying a slow death, still got the same battery but a new alternator and no problems all last winter.

17. May 8, 2012 at 5:56 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I wouldn't be so quick at changing out the battery. The issue may be in the charging system. I would get the battery tested first and then the alternator.

18. May 8, 2012 at 4:59 PM
    LDurchy

LDurchy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cedar Falls, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    Re:Optima batteries
    I have heard that the Optima batteries aren't built as well now as when I got mine approx 10 years ago. The 'Lets make it cheaper' bird strikes again.
    I must add that when mentioning the Optima to car dealerships, they do recognize it as a good battery. At least that is its current reputation.
    The reports here from you folks that care to dirty your hands on your car's maintenance is very important as a feedback. Greatly appreciated.

Products Discussed in

To Top