Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Battery died like RIGHT NOW!

Old 05-07-2012, 05:42 AM   #1
Sign Guy will become famous soon enough
Name: Brian
Sign Guy's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Battery died like RIGHT NOW!

I bought the truck a yr or so ago and it had a brand new battery (some budget brand but brand new). It has worked flawlessly until yesterday. I took the dog to the park and an hr later, I turn the key and nothing, no horn, light, nothing. I check fuses and everything looks great. Thank goodness for AAA. I give them a jingle and 1/2 hr later the guy comes out, we try a jump and fires right up. I drive home and park in front of the house, an hour later I go out and dead. I get online to check prices for a new one and nobody puts them on and those that do are crazy prices, like $90-$250. I hate going to all the stores to check on prices, any suggestions on decent prices for a new battery. I do not want a budget battery like the one they put in, but I don't want a super expensive one either. I'm going to sell it myself in a few months and it runs like a top and I don't want the new owner to have any issues for years - just the way I am.

Thanks,
Old 05-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Did you check for loose battery connections or corroded connections?
Old 05-07-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
LDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LDurchy's Tacoma Gallery
When I buy a battery I check Consumer's Guide for ratings. When I buy, I tell them I want the biggest number of cranking amps I can close the hood over. I get serious winters here in Iowa so amps rule when its cold. My current battery is the red top Optima. It was installed before 2001. The claim to fame for the Optima series is they are less affected by high temps and vibration. It was a high dollar battery, but if you factor in no starter related tows from battery issues, it gets cheaper/year. Last year I had the dealer do a free amp. check while my pickup was in for an oil change. The reading was 938 amps.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
I have this battery as of 2 years ago. Have had zero problems so far (especially in VT winters), and it even survived 6 months of sitting while I lived in Australia. When I got home, I plugged her right back in and she started the truck right back up!

It's also 1/3 cheaper than the optima.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone will tell you the brand battery they bought is the best. I personally have been using Duralast Gold batteries from Auto Zone for the last 10 years on several of my vehicles and they have held up GREAT.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Optima went to shit...I'd recommend Duralast or Die Hard from Sears.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I'll have to look at what's in my truck because I've never changed it once since owning it (13 years).

And I doubt the owner changed it within one year of its life.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
Everyone will tell you the brand battery they bought is the best.
So true. I would say that the good brands are Interstate, Duralast, and Die Hard. Optima seems pretty good, but I have heard of theirs failing randomly so it appears to be hit or miss (more hit though). They are also quite expensive.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
hello, if you have a wet cell battery, have you checked the water level in it?
and only use distilled water in it. sears and the duralast are good batteries, just keep your receipt as a back up.
Now I don't agree with this, but my uncle has a welding shop, and a large old portable welder, he would sometime use, and he would get wal-mart batteries and yes since he was not running it a lot and they would die, he would take it back, (3 year no question warranty) and get a new one.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
Thanks for the tips!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #12
Ihavataco98 is a name known to allIhavataco98 is a name known to allIhavataco98 is a name known to allIhavataco98 is a name known to allIhavataco98 is a name known to allIhavataco98 is a name known to all
Ihavataco98's Tacoma Gallery
stinger batterys
Old 05-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
aznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aznutx's Tacoma Gallery
i've had optima red tops in all my vehicles and they working great, but i only got them because at the time i got a good deal over any other budget brand. my 2c
Old 05-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Did you check for loose battery connections or corroded connections?
X2, sounds to me like it's not actually the battery. Take the battery to auto zone and have it tested. If it was really dead it would take time to charge enough to jump it. Like a couple minutes instead of a couple seconds...
Old 05-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertgeejr1 View Post
hello, if you have a wet cell battery, have you checked the water level in it?
and only use distilled water in it.
I think it might be a wet cell so I'll check the fluid level.

All connections are tighter than tight and I can't budge them.

To bad I didn't check for a battery at O'reily's yesterday, I was looking for something else (in addition to the battery) and Barbi behind the counter through off my concentration I guess I'll have to go back
Old 05-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #16
magog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud of

magog45's Tacoma Gallery
I was having starting issues during the winter when it got cold and at first I thought it was the battery but finally the truck died at a set of lights and I had to push it out of the way. Turned out it was an alternator dying a slow death, still got the same battery but a new alternator and no problems all last winter.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #17
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't be so quick at changing out the battery. The issue may be in the charging system. I would get the battery tested first and then the alternator.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #18
LDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LDurchy's Tacoma Gallery
Re:Optima batteries
I have heard that the Optima batteries aren't built as well now as when I got mine approx 10 years ago. The 'Lets make it cheaper' bird strikes again.
I must add that when mentioning the Optima to car dealerships, they do recognize it as a good battery. At least that is its current reputation.
The reports here from you folks that care to dirty your hands on your car's maintenance is very important as a feedback. Greatly appreciated.