Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How much fuel left when you get the "gas low" light?

Old 05-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
Browncoat
Stoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to all

Stoic's Tacoma Gallery

My just purchased '04 3.4L V6 (PreRunner 18.5 gal tank) just had the light go on after only 260 miles. I'm going to fill it up to see how much fuel was left. I'm hoping at least 2-2.5 gals otherwise this thing is going to be a pig on mileage. It was about 75/25 city/highway.

Maybe a tune-up will help.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoic View Post
My just purchased '04 3.4L V6 (PreRunner 18.5 gal tank) just had the light go on after only 260 miles. I'm going to fill it up to see how much fuel was left. I'm hoping at least 2-2.5 gals otherwise this thing is going to be a pig on mileage. It was about 75/25 city/highway.

Maybe a tune-up will help.
If you really want to be diligent with fuel economy, sign up for fuelly.com (it's free). After a few months of tracking my mpgs I began to change habits, etc... and now I'm averaging 22 mpg (non-winter gas)
Old 05-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
you have about 4 gal left after the light comes on. for me at least.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
I would not make it a habit to run the tank low and over heat the fuel pump.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
'Murrica!
AK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I try not to run that low on gas but there have been times when ive put 16-16.5 gallons in my tank and the gas light wasn't on.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I understand the mechanics of the pump and all, but I honestly have been filling up with less than 1/4 tank left for 13 years.

No problems *knock on wood* so far.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
well coming from a ol' timer, 1/4 tank is fine, its making it a habit of running it that low that the fuel light comes on is where you can have a problem.
I remember some points on this from popular mechanics.
1, when the tank gets that low, with stop and go traffic, you can expose the pump even if its for a second its not good for it.

2. after any car/truck as age on it you run the risk of having some trash in the bottom of tank and that can get sucked in.

3. leaving a tank that low for long periods can cause the tank so sweat on the inside, and over the life of a vehicle it can build up.

I am not saying this will happen, it could happen.

and remember, it always easier to fill up the tank these day when its half full, instead of empty, so you don't pass out!

and remember, on most cars, and I believe it is the same on the truck, you have two fuel filter. the main one protects the injectors, engine, you change. the second is part of the fuel pump, that is the one that can get clogged with water, trash, when the tank is low to dry, and this is what will starve and over heat or put stress on the fuel pump.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Browncoat
Stoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to all

Stoic's Tacoma Gallery
I normally fill up my other cars at about 1/4 full but I wanted to get a reading on the mileage on the truck. Went out this morning to Costco to fill up and it took 16.5 gals so my light comes on with 2 gals left. I figured that gave me about 300 miles per full tank. I had a '92 Toyota 4X4 manual transmission that gave me better than that after 200K miles so I'll be looking into any way to make improvements. Still, I won't be doing any long distance driving in this. This will be my local hauler.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #9

Quote:
I normally fill up my other cars at about 1/4 full but I wanted to get a reading on the mileage on the truck. Went out this morning to Costco to fill up and it took 16.5 gals so my light comes on with 2 gals left. I figured that gave me about 300 miles per full tank. I had a '92 Toyota 4X4 manual transmission that gave me better than that after 200K miles so I'll be looking into any way to make improvements. Still, I won't be doing any long distance driving in this. This will be my local hauler.
FWIW at 1/4 tank I am usually at 300 miles driven.

Try using cruise control as much as possible, obviously only when it's safe.

I use it almost 80% I'm driving.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Approx. 2 gallons.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
Who needs roads?
Taco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
Taco me elmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
FWIW at 1/4 tank I am usually at 300 miles driven.

Try using cruise control as much as possible, obviously only when it's safe.

I use it almost 80% I'm driving.
yes but are you a 2.7 4 cyl or a 3.4 v6?

I drive like a stole it with a lift and larger tires and get 260 before my light comes on. or like 16-18 mpg.

The 4cyl ones get an average 5 mpg better.

I usually fill up at 1/4 tank or less.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco me elmo View Post
yes but are you a 2.7 4 cyl or a 3.4 v6?

I drive like a stole it with a lift and larger tires and get 260 before my light comes on. or like 16-18 mpg.

The 4cyl ones get an average 5 mpg better.

I usually fill up at 1/4 tank or less.
3.4L V6 5-speed
Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #13
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery

Quote:
My light comes on when I have about 2 gallons remaining.

260 miles on 16 gals of non-winter formula gas sounds low. I get about 20MPG on non-winter gas and about 17MPG on the winter garbage, for an overall average of about 18-19MPG or ~300 miles before the light comes on.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #14
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
I believe its 2 gallons left when the light comes on. And FWIW, I get 230 miles before my light comes on...which has been right around 15mpg the last few tanks. It sucks.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #15
Have a nice day
htuong95 is on a distinguished road

htuong95's Tacoma Gallery
I get at least 300 miles before my light comes on. Base on my receipt at the gas station, two gallons left in the tank sounds about right.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #16
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
Mmm 2 gallons seems around the area think a little more.
I've driven the needle down below the top line in the letter E . Was not fun driving home at 2am on the freeway .Think I just made it don't home, don't know if I imagined the truck being sluggish.
Next morning I changed the fuel filter and transfered gas from my motorcycle
Old 05-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #17
Browncoat

Stoic's Tacoma Gallery
Well, here you go...

http://goo.gl/TnjD4

Fuel Economy of 2004 Toyota Tacoma 2WD
Old 05-09-2012, 05:53 AM   #18
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
On my 2000 I have about 2-3 gallons left when the light comes on.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #19
cruxofthebisquit is on a distinguished road

Name: John
cruxofthebisquit's Tacoma Gallery
I too, have about 2 gals. left after the light. Usually at 240-250 miles. i wish I got some of you guys mileage. 3.4,5-spd. lifted. I usually avg. 15-16 hwy. I drive 80-85mph.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #20
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxofthebisquit View Post
I too, have about 2 gals. left after the light. Usually at 240-250 miles. i wish I got some of you guys mileage. 3.4,5-spd. lifted. I usually avg. 15-16 hwy. I drive 80-85mph.
You wish you did? Then why are you driving 85mph?
Try 65mph. Huge difference in mileage, especially in a pickup or suv.