Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

00 Prerunner rear springs

Old 05-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Don morrow is on a distinguished road
Don morrow's Tacoma Gallery
00 Prerunner rear springs

So this is my first post, Question, my 2000 Tacoma Prerunner has been over loaded, the springs look like a frown on the truck, and the shock bottom out all the time, The truck has 240K on it and I think Id rather not put new springs on it....I'm thinking of trying to find some shorter shocks for the rear ...Yes / No ? I'm open to ideas,, I plan to sell it in a year
Old 05-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
throw a set of springs on it-the truck is worth it
Old 05-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
what would shorter shocks do?
why would you spend money on shorter shocks rather than a replacement pack?

There's always guys swaping their packs, keep an eye out in the F/S for a cheap replacement for your frowners
Old 05-10-2012, 03:39 AM   #4
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
its not that the shock is bottoming out, its you hitting the bump stop... you can rebuild a Spring pack, or get a new one. PM 4WD (doug) and ask him on some info about rebuilding one. Or get a progressive add a leaf pack from deaver or Icon.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:56 AM   #5
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...urbishing.html
Old 05-10-2012, 04:10 AM   #6
Country101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to all
Country101's Tacoma Gallery
You'll want new springs of some kind. Go ahead and get a good set or let doug help you with a refurb.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
Thanks Guys, Guess I'll be replacing the old springs, No short cuts with you guys, ( DO IT RITE OR NOT AT ALL !!!!! )
Old 05-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
cruxofthebisquit is on a distinguished road

Name: John
cruxofthebisquit's Tacoma Gallery
Actually, I have my old stock TRD's just laying. Shipping may be a pain but if yer willing...........You may be able to get yours redone though for as cheap as shipping a pair cross country.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
I'll check into both and let you know, TY very much, This site has some cool people !!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #10

Unless your springs are severly worn, it sounds more like you need new shocks. Just a frown doesn't complely kill them as they are not exactly arched much from the factory. At least not when installed. If you remove a pair and they look deformed, you really got a problem. Most people change when they encounter "the lean" from the left/right bias. If your selling in a year you may not want the trouble/expense of changing springs. Maybe a stiffer shock will get you through a year?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
Greg Graffin 2016

Even tho they are not arched much from factory, the arch and spring rate plays a big role.
When they frown is when they are dead and done. It doesn't have any spring action in them or the force to push up.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
I put new shocks on a year ago, thinking the same thing that new shocks would help, but not the case, one thing I did was to have two 200lbs friends sit on the tailgate slowly adding their weight to the tailgate the shock began to compress and after no more than one inch the shock was bottomed out, and the spring took over until their weight equaled out ( not enough weight to make the bumpers bottom out though ) So the shocks have not travel left, and this truck is killing me with it ride quality
Old 05-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #13

Yea, with that mileage they prob. are dead. I'm just thinking a lot of folks may not want to fool with changing springs if they plan getting rid of it in a year. It's not easy w/o all the right tools and jacks. I remember comparing to lots of low milers and think "Man not much differece from that and shot ones" I know I put Monroe coilovers on the back of my ragged Roadrunners springs til I could afford good ones and had the time to do it. Yes, you can put me down as not wanting to spend much on old vehicles unless they are going up in value.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #14
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don morrow View Post
Thanks Guys, Guess I'll be replacing the old springs, No short cuts with you guys, ( DO IT RITE OR NOT AT ALL !!!!! )

Oh I wish you wouldn't have said that......
Old 05-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Then I gotta start boring the shit out of everyone with pics of shitty spring rebuilds...

Installed on 2000 TRD 4x...

All the above were tired, neg. ARC'd frowning springs, now with frown turned upside down....
Old 05-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #16
LOL Thanks for the pics , Now I need to find the time to do the job,,,I'm haten it
Old 05-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #17
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Then I gotta start boring the shit out of everyone with pics of shitty spring rebuilds...

Installed on 2000 TRD 4x...

All the above were tired, neg. ARC'd frowning springs, now with frown turned upside down....
fackem if they're bored-this^^^^^^^^is what this forum is for. Nice springs, not bored.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #18
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post

This^^
Ive done 2 tacomas with great results and for around $60 you cant go wrong!