Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

home made truck tent?

Old 05-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
uncoordinated dirtbox
Brandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
Brandon9402's Tacoma Gallery
home made truck tent?

I've been invited to a big camp out with a bunch of friends and kinda looked at getting a truck tent... then I saw the prices. I can't afford to pay $169 (cheapest i saw) for a truck tent that I may use a few times. so I thought about constructing my own! shouldn't be to hard. I have an idea for pvc and one of those cheap blue rain tarps. I can build a bare skeleton out of pvc and tie down the tarp over it. (really just to protect me from any kind of rain it may do that weekend) and I can then lay my air mattress in the back and sleep dry. Has anyone built their own "truck tent" if so post some pictures and any speed bumps you had along the way and how well did it work? thank you
Old 05-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
Have a nice day
htuong95 is on a distinguished road

htuong95's Tacoma Gallery
Why not just get a small tent from Walmart and set it up on the back of your truck?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
My old truck setup
Old 05-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
sleep under the stars, tents are for pussies.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #5
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
My old truck setup

^This. I've slept in a truck with a setup like that a few times and it works in a pinch. Just bring some bungees and some twine or cord of some sort and you're set.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #6
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Lmfao . I know someone who sleeps on the desert ground in clothes . Nothing else . Sure it was only 55 degrees .
Old 05-09-2012, 01:15 AM   #7
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
Tarp it up! if it leaks just spray some derp on it.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #8
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Here you go OP, $70.00.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...x?a=614014&e=Y
Old 05-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
Broseph Stalin will become famous soon enough

Name: Justin
Broseph Stalin's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^
thats pretty damn cool imo, i dont need one but kinda wana buy on now lol
Old 05-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #10
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
The OP would have to buy the additional rain fly in order to keep himself dry. I think that's the whole gist of his thread.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Why not just get a regular tent and set it up on the ground?

I have a big 8 person tent that I bought at Target for $60. Sleeping on the ground isn't a big deal, especially since you have an air mattress. Man up!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #12
FrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the rough

Name: Frank
FrankNasti's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Why not just get a regular tent and set it up on the ground?

I have a big 8 person tent that I bought at Target for $60. Sleeping on the ground isn't a big deal, especially since you have an air mattress. Man up!
I've always used a ground tent, never had any problems sleeping and you have more room.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
uncoordinated dirtbox
Brandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
Brandon9402's Tacoma Gallery
yeah pretty sure im just going to buy a cheap walmart tent. found one for $25. but now ive been looking at those really cool softopper campers. yeah like i can afford that!
ONE DAY! one day ill have a super awesome high paying job and ill buy all these cool things like everybody else on here.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Drink enough beer and you can sleep in the back of an access cab
Old 05-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
Drink enough beer and you can sleep anywhere haha
Old 05-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon9402 View Post
ONE DAY! one day ill have a super awesome high paying job and ill buy all these cool things like everybody else on here.
I'm pretty sure we're not all doctors and lawyers on TW. Learn to put some time into picking the things you need with the money you have.. and remember that sometimes you have to wait a bit and save up, while never spending money you'll regret parting with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
Drink enough, and you could sleep on a rock! lol

Frank
Old 05-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #17
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Lmfao . I know someone who sleeps on the desert ground in clothes . Nothing else . Sure it was only 55 degrees .
This is ridiculous! He must be crazy, I slept in a tent and just a sleeping bag one night and I turned into an 80 year old man who had fallen down a flight of stairs when I woke up. My back was killing me

Edit: beat you ^^ haha
Old 05-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #18
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox1 View Post
You did...

Frank
Old 05-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #19
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
Tagging this on my phone
Old 05-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #20
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox1 View Post
This is ridiculous! He must be crazy, I slept in a tent and just a sleeping bag one night and I turned into an 80 year old man who had fallen down a flight of stairs when I woke up. My back was killing me

Besides... sleeping in the desert, on the ground, is never smart.

Scorpions

Always sleep elevated on a cot