Notices

Shifting issues

Old 05-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #1
murphy30547 is on a distinguished road
Army: OIF Vet
murphy30547's Tacoma Gallery
Shifting issues

Hello all,
I bought a 98 tacoma 2.4l 2wd xtra cab manual transmission last weekend and I love it. The thing is that the transmission is unusually hard to shift without a little bit of grinding. I have driven manual transmissions for 17 years now and never had this many issues getting used to a new one. I started out shifting by pressing the clutch all the way in and still got a gear tap on 3rd and a nice grind on 4th. Then a friend suggested I press the clutch half way (which is hard to remember to do) and it helped a little, but I can't even drive a couple of miles without grinding in 3rd or 4th. I have driven cars and trucks with bad clutches and messed up transmissions and never had one where i have to use strategy to be able to shift. It's very rare to have a nice clean set of shifts up to 5th when i am driving. I have tried let off the gas and waiting a few seconds then shifting(normally ill let off the gas and depress the clutch at the same time.) The clutch was replaced with an LCE one a few 1000 miles ago, the clutch pedal is nice and tight with about 1/2" free play at the top, and if it may help anyone with diagnosing the pedal is a little higher up than the brake pedal is that normal? I love the truck and I would just love to be able to drive it without shouting choice words when it grinds for no apparent reason. Is there anything that I can do to fix this issue? Thanks.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy30547 View Post
Hello all,
I bought a 98 tacoma 2.4l 2wd xtra cab manual transmission last weekend and I love it. The thing is that the transmission is unusually hard to shift without a little bit of grinding. I have driven manual transmissions for 17 years now and never had this many issues getting used to a new one. I started out shifting by pressing the clutch all the way in and still got a gear tap on 3rd and a nice grind on 4th. Then a friend suggested I press the clutch half way (which is hard to remember to do) and it helped a little, but I can't even drive a couple of miles without grinding in 3rd or 4th. I have driven cars and trucks with bad clutches and messed up transmissions and never had one where i have to use strategy to be able to shift. It's very rare to have a nice clean set of shifts up to 5th when i am driving. I have tried let off the gas and waiting a few seconds then shifting(normally ill let off the gas and depress the clutch at the same time.) The clutch was replaced with an LCE one a few 1000 miles ago, the clutch pedal is nice and tight with about 1/2" free play at the top, and if it may help anyone with diagnosing the pedal is a little higher up than the brake pedal is that normal? I love the truck and I would just love to be able to drive it without shouting choice words when it grinds for no apparent reason. Is there anything that I can do to fix this issue? Thanks.
First of all, welcome to TW!

You covered about every question I was going to ask. The problem may not be the pedal at all. Maybe your syncros are bad? I am kind of at a loss.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
Roger that I will have to give that a try. Then I'll go from there. Thanks for the welcome.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
That was a no go, very little air came out and didn't make a difference on driving. I noticed the boot on the slave was rather ragged and the fluid was very dark. And slimy looking, might pick up a slave, and also some royal purple for the transmission and gear box. Oh btw is bleeding the clutch done with the engine running or off I had it off cause I thought that's how you do brakes. Thanks