1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shifting issues

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by murphy30547, May 9, 2012.

1. May 9, 2012 at 6:28 AM
    murphy30547

murphy30547 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma
    LCE Clutch, LCE header and cat-back.
    Hello all,
    I bought a 98 tacoma 2.4l 2wd xtra cab manual transmission last weekend and I love it. The thing is that the transmission is unusually hard to shift without a little bit of grinding. I have driven manual transmissions for 17 years now and never had this many issues getting used to a new one. I started out shifting by pressing the clutch all the way in and still got a gear tap on 3rd and a nice grind on 4th. Then a friend suggested I press the clutch half way (which is hard to remember to do) and it helped a little, but I can't even drive a couple of miles without grinding in 3rd or 4th. I have driven cars and trucks with bad clutches and messed up transmissions and never had one where i have to use strategy to be able to shift. It's very rare to have a nice clean set of shifts up to 5th when i am driving. I have tried let off the gas and waiting a few seconds then shifting(normally ill let off the gas and depress the clutch at the same time.) The clutch was replaced with an LCE one a few 1000 miles ago, the clutch pedal is nice and tight with about 1/2" free play at the top, and if it may help anyone with diagnosing the pedal is a little higher up than the brake pedal is that normal? I love the truck and I would just love to be able to drive it without shouting choice words when it grinds for no apparent reason. Is there anything that I can do to fix this issue? Thanks.

2. May 9, 2012 at 8:51 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    First of all, welcome to TW!

You covered about every question I was going to ask. The problem may not be the pedal at all. Maybe your syncros are bad? I am kind of at a loss.

3. May 9, 2012 at 10:26 AM
    murphy30547

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma
    Roger that I will have to give that a try. Then I'll go from there. Thanks for the welcome.

4. May 9, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    murphy30547

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma
    That was a no go, very little air came out and didn't make a difference on driving. I noticed the boot on the slave was rather ragged and the fluid was very dark. And slimy looking, might pick up a slave, and also some royal purple for the transmission and gear box. Oh btw is bleeding the clutch done with the engine running or off I had it off cause I thought that's how you do brakes. Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top