Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

low engine revs

Old 05-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
IrmoRabbidMoose is on a distinguished road

Name: Jay
IrmoRabbidMoose's Tacoma Gallery
low engine revs

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but not new to Tacoma's. However, I just recently purchased an 04 Tacoma double cab prerunner with 95k on it and I notice that on a cold start the truck starts normally and has high revs. Then, after I've been driving it and it's back at operating temperatures and I try to crank it, it starts normally but has very low revs where it just starts at the normal 750-800 rpm level. Any thoughts? I've never had this on a yota and I've had the 3.4's in several Tacoma's with 180k+ miles and they never did this. I'm thinking maybe cold start injector? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Same thing happens on my trucks. I've read about it before, seemed to be normal. It's been on my truck for over 100k miles
Old 05-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Mine too-normal. I just give it a little nudge on the pedal and it comes up to normal right away. Seems to be sort of a benign starvation quirk
Old 05-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
clean idle air control on throttle body helped mine
Old 05-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #5

When I start it, it always goes straight to idle speed. It's not bogging down like it's going to stall out which is good. I'm just curious as to why it's just not revving high like on a cold start. But if it's normal for the 3.4's then I'll live with it. But thanks, I'll definitely clean out the IACV.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
Tacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
Tacomadude89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I notice that on a cold start the truck starts normally and has high revs.
Quote:
I'm just curious as to why it's just not revving high like on a cold start.
So it does or doesn't have a high idle when you cold start it?

Either way, when you start it up when it is completely cold, it is supposed to have a high idle until it comes up to opperating temp. That high idle will slowly drop down the warmer it gets until it reaches its designated opperating temp and comes to a complete idle. The 750-800rpm idle that you state is what it should be at, at opperating temp. If the engine is already warmed up, say while you're running errands or something and you get back in it, it shouldn't have the high idle anymore because it's already warmed up. If what is described here is the case, then it's completely normal and what every car does.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #7

Yeah, I completely understand and I'm not saying that it's got a high idle. When I start it cold it revs high and then as you said it has a high idle. Well, I mean that once it's at operating temperature and I start it back up, it doesn't rev as high as when I first started it cold. It just runs up to maybe 1k then goes to normal idle speed. I'm wondering if this is normal or abnormal. Sometimes it just starts up and doesn't even rev, it just cranks and immediately goes straight to standard operating speed.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
All cars idle high when cold. You truck's normal idle speed should be about 600-700 rpms. A cold start will be much higher and stay higher until the engine oil and tranny fluid (auto only) is at normal optemp.

Again, this is normal and nothing to worry about.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoRabbidMoose View Post
Yeah, I completely understand and I'm not saying that it's got a high idle. When I start it cold it revs high and then as you said it has a high idle. Well, I mean that once it's at operating temperature and I start it back up, it doesn't rev as high as when I first started it cold. It just runs up to maybe 1k then goes to normal idle speed. I'm wondering if this is normal or abnormal. Sometimes it just starts up and doesn't even rev, it just cranks and immediately goes straight to standard operating speed.
that is a bit clearer to your point-heck yeah that is totally normal. Mine sometimes won't even do 1000rpms full temp-it'll only do 700. Aint it cool tho the miracles of modern engines that can self-rev.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #10

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm just going to do a little cleaning out on the engine and clean out the injectors and hopefully I'll solve my problem.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoRabbidMoose View Post
Thanks for the help everyone, I'm just going to do a little cleaning out on the engine and clean out the injectors and hopefully I'll solve my problem.
you still think you have a "problem" after we all told ya it's ok??
Old 05-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
Monkee is on a distinguished road
Army: HHC USDB MP CO
Name: Jesus
Monkee's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I just changed my plug on my taco 07' now it idles at 600 rpms is that normal or do I have to change it. If any onw one know how to fix it with out going to a shop let me knoe plse thanks to all