Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What the f**k is wrong

Old 05-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Master of the Prius...
SpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryen
SpazzyB's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SpazzyB
What the f**k is wrong

Alright so like 2wks ago my alternator died and i replaced it, truck ran fine. 2 days later it dies, i check the alt and battery and both are fine. I replaced my fuel filter and its been running fine for about 2wks and randomly died on the freeway.

Wtf is going on?! I'm seriously getting tired of this shit.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
you have a an electrical gremlin. replace the plugs and wires.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
If your ALT and Battery are good and not getting a solid ground could also cause this problem.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
If your truck was running good, and it just died, it could(should) be a short,
we all make mistakes, I did a good one (dumb) years ago when changing my battery, I forgot to tighten down the neg cable, and it took a few days and it died coming down a off ramp, I freaked until i sat down and thought about it....
and this is worse, but years ago my uncle had a smokey and the bandit trans am, and it would die every now and then from the day he bought it, it took a Pontiac engineer from the factory to find out that it had a short in the wire to the starter... dealer was stupid and my uncle was ready to sue....
anyway, try to double check all the wires. good luck.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Master of the Prius...
SpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpazzyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom View Post
you have a an electrical gremlin. replace the plugs and wires.
Replaced the plugs not too long ago, can't afford to buy new wires anytime soon so I guess i'm on a ground/short mission.

fuck.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Tacoma Lover
SupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
SupraT's Tacoma Gallery
Double check your main power wire to your starter, i had this same problem and found that the power wire was corroded all the way through the wire so it was making no connection.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
check all terminals, clean up the battery terminals and make sure they are tight still. if they're loose replace them.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
Master of the Prius...

SpazzyB's Tacoma Gallery
I'll check the grounds/starter wire once the engine cools down.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
Master of the Prius...

SpazzyB's Tacoma Gallery
Checked grounds and everything looks good. Starts but still wont stay running, even though first try it idled for roughly 15secs.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
Ka like a wheel
F75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
F75gunslinger's Tacoma Gallery
Have you done anything at all to the intake tract lately ? New CAI,new filter,K&N filter? Is that all tight? Check to make sure everything that was loosened/removed to change the alternator was tightened down properly.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
Master of the Prius...

SpazzyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by F75gunslinger View Post
Have you done anything at all to the intake tract lately ? New CAI,new filter,K&N filter? Is that all tight? Check to make sure everything that was loosened/removed to change the alternator was tightened down properly.
changed the air filter a couple months ago, no cai or k&n filter. everythings tightened down and I checked for cracks.

rechecked everything removed changing the alternator and it's all good.

checked the maf and tps, both are fine.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
did you check your fuses?
Old 05-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Try swapping in a new EFI relay.
The power outlet relay can be used, it is the same relay.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
Master of the Prius...

SpazzyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
did you check your fuses?
first thing I went too, underhood and dash panel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
gonna give this a try right now.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
Master of the Prius...

SpazzyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazzyB View Post
gonna give this a try right now.
Didn't work.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #16
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
Is your battery light on?
Old 05-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #17
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
When it dies, what is it doing? Any instrument flickering? Will it start without a jump?
Old 05-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #18
Master of the Prius...

SpazzyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
Is your battery light on?
Comes on with the rest of lights when it dies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
When it dies, what is it doing? Any instrument flickering? Will it start without a jump?
Nothing flickers, just dies. "starts" without a jump but dies after like 3secs.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #19
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
If you want me to come over and see if I can pop some ideas for you. I'm no master mechanic but maybe I can help. I know you're literally a few blocks from me.... somewhere.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #20
Ga tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudy
Ga tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
Ryen, I am going to ask this question to see and try to insult you with it.
Did you install the fuel filter in the correct direction ?
Your problem is a fuel problem, you are running on what is in the line and the fuel pump is not running. If the gas filter is on correctly, then you may need to check for power at the fuel pump connection to see there is power. This sounds like a classic case of running out of gas. Good luck.