1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recent purchase pics, and a question..

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SigBur, May 10, 2012.

1. May 10, 2012 at 10:49 PM
    SigBur

SigBur [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Just bought a '98 V6 ext cab, totally stock, with 199K on the clock. Brand new tires, timing belt replaced at 90K, cassette player :D. Runs like a dream. And now the emptying of the bank account begins.

My plan is to live out of this truck, indefinately, and am in the planning stage of rigging it for the lifestyle. A shell is priority number one so as to have a roof over my head. Going to build a "sleeper deck" in the bed, with storage underneath; pretty basic. Buying a ladder rack off a friend that fits over the shell and extends across the top of the cab. I won't be carrying extreme loads; usually two people, backpacking gear, a labrador, some tools, a bicycle or two on the rack, etc.

Don't want to lift it or run bigger tires, but I do need to beef up the suspension to handle the load I've described...without dragging it's ass down the highway mind you. The rear leafs are beyond flat. Can anyone recommend a good set of leafs? I'm not a wheeler but enjoy spirited romps through the mountains. I'm needing more of a expedition-esque home on wheels than a weekend toy.

Coming from an '84 FJ60 with the 2F, I'm relatively unfamiliar with the 5ZE and was wondering if a timing belt should be on my short list of things to tackle? Replaced at 90K, now at 199K...

Apologies for the cell phone pics

IMAG0342.jpg
    IMAG0341.jpg

2. May 10, 2012 at 11:03 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    ^^what he said...dont end up stranded.

And as for the leafs, wheelers offroad sells stock height leaf packs, its their "four pack." But with the weight you are going to have in the back I would look into the 5 pack. It has about 1.5'' of lift...but with it loaded like you are describing it will probably be around stock height.

3. May 13, 2012 at 10:11 PM
    SigBur

SigBur [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Thanks for the heads up on the Wheeler 5 spring. Below are some pics of the heavy duty lumber rack I picked up for $250. Steel tubing, expanded metal...heavy. Its got two 'baskets' over the cab, and most of the weight is centered there, over the back of the cab. My flat springs didn't seem to sag too much under the weight. Took three guys to load and place it.

Since I'm not driving a lot right now (motorbike so much more fun, and faster) I think I'll beef up the suspension prior to the timing belt/waterpump change. And then drop a shell onto her inside the rack. Ah, and then to build a drawer system and sleeping quarters inside of that. I painted the rack flat black after taking these shots.

So for the suspension, install heavier duty leaf springs, and some Billie 5100s in the rear? Would you recommend anything regarding the front suspension?

IMAG0348.jpg
    IMAG0349.jpg
    IMAG0350.jpg

4. May 18, 2012 at 2:02 PM
    ilove_taco_ma

ilove_taco_ma Well-Known Member

Member:
    fresno, california
    Vehicle:
    95 tacoma 4wd LX
    nothing, all stock expect got a OE replacement air filter K&N.
    bilsteins 5100 with eibach coils for front. 5 leaf pack or all pro hd pack with 5100.

5. May 27, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    koco

koco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco
    Around $26,000 worth of unleaded in the fuel tank.
    The stock leafs are junk. That's why you see so many toyotas since the 80s sagging in the back. The toyota bilsteins are not impressive either; they are the size of burger king straws.

I wonder why toyota has been using inferior springs for so long. Maybe they save money using bad steel or something.

I put some hell creek leafs in a 99 trd 4x4 and they were excellent. Only cost $349 shipped. The company is no longer in business.

Products Discussed in

To Top