Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Recent purchase pics, and a question..

Old 05-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
SigBur is on a distinguished road
SigBur's Tacoma Gallery
Recent purchase pics, and a question..

Just bought a '98 V6 ext cab, totally stock, with 199K on the clock. Brand new tires, timing belt replaced at 90K, cassette player . Runs like a dream. And now the emptying of the bank account begins.

My plan is to live out of this truck, indefinately, and am in the planning stage of rigging it for the lifestyle. A shell is priority number one so as to have a roof over my head. Going to build a "sleeper deck" in the bed, with storage underneath; pretty basic. Buying a ladder rack off a friend that fits over the shell and extends across the top of the cab. I won't be carrying extreme loads; usually two people, backpacking gear, a labrador, some tools, a bicycle or two on the rack, etc.

Don't want to lift it or run bigger tires, but I do need to beef up the suspension to handle the load I've described...without dragging it's ass down the highway mind you. The rear leafs are beyond flat. Can anyone recommend a good set of leafs? I'm not a wheeler but enjoy spirited romps through the mountains. I'm needing more of a expedition-esque home on wheels than a weekend toy.

Coming from an '84 FJ60 with the 2F, I'm relatively unfamiliar with the 5ZE and was wondering if a timing belt should be on my short list of things to tackle? Replaced at 90K, now at 199K...

Apologies for the cell phone pics
Attached Thumbnails
Recent purchase pics, and a question..-imag0342.jpg   Recent purchase pics, and a question..-imag0341.jpg  
Old 05-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Timing belt should be done every 90k along with water pump. So yes, I say do it.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
^^what he said...dont end up stranded.

And as for the leafs, wheelers offroad sells stock height leaf packs, its their "four pack." But with the weight you are going to have in the back I would look into the 5 pack. It has about 1.5'' of lift...but with it loaded like you are describing it will probably be around stock height.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacoleafs.htm
Old 05-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
SigBur is on a distinguished road
SigBur's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the heads up on the Wheeler 5 spring. Below are some pics of the heavy duty lumber rack I picked up for $250. Steel tubing, expanded metal...heavy. Its got two 'baskets' over the cab, and most of the weight is centered there, over the back of the cab. My flat springs didn't seem to sag too much under the weight. Took three guys to load and place it.

Since I'm not driving a lot right now (motorbike so much more fun, and faster) I think I'll beef up the suspension prior to the timing belt/waterpump change. And then drop a shell onto her inside the rack. Ah, and then to build a drawer system and sleeping quarters inside of that. I painted the rack flat black after taking these shots.

So for the suspension, install heavier duty leaf springs, and some Billie 5100s in the rear? Would you recommend anything regarding the front suspension?
Attached Thumbnails
Recent purchase pics, and a question..-imag0348.jpg   Recent purchase pics, and a question..-imag0349.jpg   Recent purchase pics, and a question..-imag0350.jpg  
Old 05-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Adjustable Bilstein 5100 in the front then
Old 05-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
bilsteins 5100 with eibach coils for front. 5 leaf pack or all pro hd pack with 5100.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
The stock leafs are junk. That's why you see so many toyotas since the 80s sagging in the back. The toyota bilsteins are not impressive either; they are the size of burger king straws.

I wonder why toyota has been using inferior springs for so long. Maybe they save money using bad steel or something.

I put some hell creek leafs in a 99 trd 4x4 and they were excellent. Only cost $349 shipped. The company is no longer in business.