Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

60k mile Timing belt replacement?

Old 05-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
60k mile Timing belt replacement?

So my wife took my truck in to the dealer today to get the 60k service done, and they said it needs a new timing belt and water pump and they quoted $600+. I did a little research here on TW and found out that when replacing the TB its recommended to replace all the other belts, water pump, etc. But does it really need to be done at only 60k miles? Seems to me maybe they're just trying to get more money out of me? I'm out of the states right now so i can't really check it out myself... any suggestions?
Old 05-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
I think it says to change it every 90k. i might be wrong on that though. i bought my truck with 136k and it had not been changed, got it done with all other belts at 139k. I did not have the water pump done since they said it would be another 400.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
90K is the regular interval for that

And they can inspect it all they want, but the wear wont be apparent until it breaks

the good news is that if it breaks...it does no damage to your engine

Tell them to buzz off and you can handle it when you get home
Old 05-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard1992 View Post
I think it says to change it every 90k. i might be wrong on that though. i bought my truck with 136k and it had not been changed, got it done with all other belts at 139k. I did not have the water pump done since they said it would be another 400.
400 extra for the water pump? It is like 7 bolts once the timing belt is off and the new pump, which might cost $100. They were ripping you off.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
90K is the regular interval for that

And they can inspect it all they want, but the wear wont be apparent until it breaks

the good news is that if it breaks...it does no damage to your engine

Tell them to buzz off and you can handle it when you get home
Did you get your water pump replaced when you did yours? Toyota told me that mine was leakin the slightest amount. Ive looked for any leaks cant find any
Old 05-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
400 extra for the water pump? It is like 7 bolts once the timing belt is off and the new pump, which might cost $100. They were ripping you off.
Shoot sorry you are right. they told me once they had the timing belt off it would be 130. i Think 400 was the price if i did it later. but i figured ive never seen any leaks and didnt wanna be broke for a week so i told them not to do it
Old 05-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Shoot sorry you are right. they told me once they had the timing belt off it would be 130. i Think 400 was the price if i did it later. but i figured ive never seen any leaks and didnt wanna be broke for a week so i told them not to do it
That makes more sense. Most people do the water pump while it is apart. I would hate like hell to spring a leak 2 days after putting it all back together. they don't last forever.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
Yep

Quote:
That makes more sense. Most people do the water pump while it is apart. I would hate like hell to spring a leak 2 days after putting it all back together. they don't last forever.
Yeah i know, I would have done it if i had the money at the time. i didnt wanna have to walk to work for a week though haha
Old 05-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #9

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah i know, I would have done it if i had the money at the time. i didnt wanna have to walk to work for a week though haha
I can certainly understand.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
The leak is pretty hard to spot

I changed mine when I changed my timing belt...I forget what all I changed but those were the 2 major things

It only took me and another member about 4 hours to knock it out
Old 05-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
jodjr is on a distinguished road

jodjr's Tacoma Gallery
I have 50k miles on my 2003 and it was in for a frame replacement. I had them change my timing belt and they (dealership) said it was due because of the age not the mileage. They wanted to change my water pump but it was swapped out @ 12k miles and covered by Toyota years ago.
So bottom line is the age of the truck also comes into play on the belt replacement.

PS : They said my water pump was leaking too...turned out to be bad hose clamps.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #12
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Water pump is usually a good idea on the TB change. Since the TB has to come off to replace the WP the labor charge is typically the same. The water pump is only $100 or so more. Okay, the pump doesn't need replacing at 90k with the belt... but how confident are you that the pump will go 180k to the 2nd belt replacement?

But be careful. I did mine myself on my '03 Tundra's 4.7. I called a few dealers and got quotes ranging from $600 to $1700. Those charging $1700 were using book-rate for EVERY item I requested, which was:
Timing belt
Water pump
Tensioner
Thermostat

Doing all of these items takes a grand total of 10 minutes longer than doing the belt alone, but these dealerships were charging book rate as if I brought the truck in and requested 4 separate jobs.

BTW: It took me 6 hours using hand tools, including an hour driving to the dealer to get the right serpentine belt after attempting to install the wrong one.
Total was about $350 for parts, including the above, and replacement of all belts, hoses, and fresh coolant.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #13
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
Rule of thumb is do the water pump and drive belts the same time as the timing belt . They are going to have it all apart anyways. Saves you labor coast later. My understanding is the timing belt should be done at 60k. The age of the truck is also true. This is what I do!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #14
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Just found out over at Ttora that a valve inspection at 60k is recommended! Has anyone had there's checked at 60k? 100k? 150k? were any of the valves out of spec?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #15
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Do the belt and water pump at 90K miles, if you skip the WP you may be sorry, the whole job needs to be redone to change it later, preventative measures are ALWAYS a good idea.

BTW if you guys need any service work including Timing Belts, I was a Toyota master tech and work from my home shop in Vista working on about 90% Toyotas, I can get OE parts and can save you lots of cash on the work and ti will be done top notch..
Old 05-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #16
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Ditto, the belts are 11 years old now. They can harden and crack. Typical menu of items:
Timing belt and tensioner
Water pump
Camshaft and crankshaft seals
Accessory belt and tensioner
Pulley and tensioner bolts replaced with new ones

The last one is important - a co-worker had a tensioner bolt shear off 200 miles after a timing belt change, and had to do it over again.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #17
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
Just found out over at Ttora that a valve inspection at 60k is recommended! Has anyone had there's checked at 60k? 100k? 150k? were any of the valves out of spec?
Anyone get their valves checked?
Old 05-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #18

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
Anyone get their valves checked?
Never heard of that.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #19
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Never heard of that.
Its in the service manual interval to inspect valves every 60k.

I posted this in another thread... Some will say do it, some will say wait til 90k during timing belt change, some will say wait until you run into an issue, some will say never had a problem.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #20
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
i assume you have a v6?? i have the 2.7 and 168k miles pretty sure it has the original chain