Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tell me y shouldn't i turbo

Old 05-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
Hot Chillae is on a distinguished road

Name: Garrett
Hot Chillae's Tacoma Gallery
Question Tell me y shouldn't i turbo

Ok so ive got the 1st gen PreRunner, with 2.7 4Banger. everyone wants power without dropping a couple grand on an elaborate turbo kit, but why cant i just get a generic kit? say for instance this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Race-...ht_4969wt_1037

i know it may require some hard work and custom fabrication to get it all to squeeze in there, but give me some good reasons. first of all im not sure if this turbo will mount up to a stock header. which if it did cool, if not im buying a performance one anyway and could have a custom adapter plate made right? i know the basics of how to set this up so don't suggest "searching" ive done that too.

p.s. i realize id be running minimal boost and that the description is bogus on this ebay item.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Go for it! Boost > blown imo
Old 05-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Go to customtacos.com right now.

no one on here knows anything about turboing tacomas. but on CT they are everywhere.

I can tell you now tho that that custom fab manifold and such is the hardest part. There is a pre made T4 turbo manifold for your motor tho i think.

also..in terms of turbo stuff..you get what you pay for..

my advice, if you turbo, do it RIGHT the first time or you'll be rebuilding a full motor. Get good quality parts.

you will also need some fuels mods too or you'll be limited to like 2-psi outa a 45mm Inducer wheel turbo. You'll need injectors, fuel pump, wide band, and a piggy back tuning device to keep your motor in control. Also a boost controller and turbo timer.

its not easy..why hardly anyone does it.

ill be doing it tho some day here soon..
Old 05-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice on CT. i figured id need more fuel. but i only planned on doing 5-8psi. and the great thing about that kit is it comes with a timer and a boost controller but yea not sure where to get a moderately priced piggy back tuner. and i do need to do more research on the aftermarket fuel delivery options. i plan on doing a mid mounted turbo tho. seems easier than cramming all that shit into the engine bay
Old 05-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
There is a reason ebay turbo kits are cheap. They are absolute shit and will blow your engine apart.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
yeah don't do the cheap chinese ebay junk. Collect the parts you need from reputable brands and do a custom build, otherwise don't even bother.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
Go for it! Boost > blown imo
Eh. Depends on what you are doing with the vehicle. If you have a dyno queen like most supra guys then sure throw on the biggest turbo you can find so it doesn't spool until 1000 RPM past the limiter. Towing? A SC will make the needed power down low.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #11
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Eh. Depends on what you are doing with the vehicle. If you have a dyno queen like most supra guys then sure throw on the biggest turbo you can find so it doesn't spool until 1000 RPM past the limiter. Towing? A SC will make the needed power down low.
a well matched turbo with the correct sized Incuder and A/R ratio will out do a SC any day. In other words a fairly smaller turbo..like a 40-45mm inducer maybe a 50-57mm...and like a .58 A/R
Old 05-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
a well matched turbo with the correct sized Incuder and A/R ratio will out do a SC any day. In other words a fairly smaller turbo..like a 40-45mm inducer maybe a 50-57mm...and like a .58 A/R
Yes you can play with turbo sizes all day. In the end it ia sometimes easier to just get a blower.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #13

I think you guys missed the point. i know its cheap that is the reason i would get it. why spend 4k dollars on brand name just to run 5psi? and i don't think it matters what brand it is because 5psi is 5psi no matter who pushes it... besides it the turbo cant run out of control IF i hook up the boost guage/timer correctly i know thats a big IF on my part.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #14
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Chillae View Post
I think you guys missed the point. i know its cheap that is the reason i would get it. why spend 4k dollars on brand name just to run 5psi? and i don't think it matters what brand it is because 5psi is 5psi no matter who pushes it... besides it the turbo cant run out of control IF i hook up the boost guage/timer correctly i know thats a big IF on my part.
better turbos have better bearings and will be far more reliable, and will be more efficient.

If all you want is 5psi then you could run a pretty small turbo and avoid the lag.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Chillae View Post
wrong. psi is relative to the turbo. 5 psi of of a turbo set up like X will be COMPLETELY different then 5 psi out of turbo Y. How the turbo is made, what features it has, and more all effect the overall efficiency of the turbo. Psi doesn't mean shit really.

oh yea..and btw..cheap and forced air induction..NEVER works out.

cheap parts are just gonna make your motor way more unreliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
better turbos have better bearings and will be far more reliable, and will be more efficient.

If all you want is 5psi then you could run a pretty small turbo and avoid the lag.
this is true too.

cheap turbos oil seals go bad fast too. Then you'll be dumping oil in your exhaust like a mofo. cheap waste gates can stick open rendering you turbo useless or out of control since the wastegate is what controls the turbo.

OP..no offense..buy you have a TON of homework to do before you even start thinking of what parts to buy. Please do a lot(i mean A LOT) or reading. You do not seem like the kind of person that knows a lot about FAI and especially turbos.

Do it right..or don't do it at all.

you will just suffer having to rebuild a whole new motor if you do it wrong.

In short, i do not think you are ready to turbo your truck in anyway shape or form.

If you want a boosted motor..get a TRD SC. You can find em for 1k or a little more. Then go from there.