Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2003 Hood Latch, and losing my mind!

Old 05-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
ugmold is on a distinguished road
ugmold's Tacoma Gallery
2003 Hood Latch, and losing my mind!

Hi folks,

I've had a problem closing my hood for awhile now, suspected the cable, but it moves freely. I took off the big spring and all seems free, loosened up the nuts, but doesn't seem like you can adjust it. I put some grease on the "U" on the underside of the hood.

In the past I have cocked the spring open and close until I finally get it to shut, but I want to fix this before I go nuts!

Thanks,
-ugmold
Old 05-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
ugmold's Tacoma Gallery
Let me add, when I pull the release the lever in the cab stays out, I have to "cock" the latch under the hood with a screwdriver I believe this is the position it should be in when I pull the lever, but I'm thinking the latch should step back to a position so that the U can latch.

Right now I got it to latch, but once again, it is guess work.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
It sounds like the spring on the latch. Can you post a pic of the latch? Then I can match it to mine .
Old 05-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
ugmold's Tacoma Gallery
Oh geesh, that means I gotta open the hood again and 20 tries before it latches again....lol.

So hard to work on something you cannot see.

What do you think might be wrong with the spring? It os original as I am the original owner.

-ug
Old 05-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
The spring could be broken or sagging due to age. Some latch or hook in the mechanism could be worn. Who knows? May be fewer hassles to just buy the whole hood latch assy for less than $20 at Rock Auto.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
RacerP will become famous soon enough
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugmold View Post
Hi folks,

I've had a problem closing my hood for awhile now, suspected the cable, but it moves freely. I took off the big spring and all seems free, loosened up the nuts, but doesn't seem like you can adjust it. I put some grease on the "U" on the underside of the hood.

In the past I have cocked the spring open and close until I finally get it to shut, but I want to fix this before I go nuts!

Thanks,
-ugmold
I have had the exact same problem with my '03 for years!!! I would actually slam the hood so hard I would bust the headlight bulbs. I tried lubing everything with no success.

I wish I had an answer for you, but, oddly enough, when I brought my truck in to the dealer for the frame replacement in January, it came back with my hood problem solved.

I have no clue what they did? They did not replace the whole latch mech, that's for sure. I guess the point I am making, is that there is a fix for this.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
ugmold's Tacoma Gallery
Seems like a new latch is the way to go. I was trying to pull the old one out for a better look. Top 3 bolts out and one down below. But it was also attached to a plastic piece that was part of the grill....could understand how to release it from that.

Anybody know?

Thanks all.
-ugmold
Old 05-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
The spring could be broken or sagging due to age. Some latch or hook in the mechanism could be worn. Who knows? May be fewer hassles to just buy the whole hood latch assy for less than $20 at Rock Auto.
X2 I have to agree. Thats what I would do!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
ugmold's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking at a latch on ebay and realized I think I am missing a spring, the smaller one that is used to retract the cable, I only remember seeing 2, and this one has 3, would make sense.

Of course locating a spring would be difficult, might as well buy the the whole deal, just thought I'd pass the info along.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5351052130-H...56679319232674

Also wondering how to disconnect the cable, looked kind of pressed in.

-Ugmold
Old 05-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
RacerP will become famous soon enough
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
I was in AutoZone the other day and noticed how many different springs they carry...might be worth a look to stop in at one of the major parts stores
Old 05-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #11
ugmold's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I just realized that one is for a Toyota Echo, but has the same part number. Rock Auto does not have a preview of what the latch looks like.

I have no problem buying a new one, for all I know there could be more damage to the part than a missing spring, if in fact it has one.

Thanks.

-ug
Old 05-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
athit87 is on a distinguished road
athit87's Tacoma Gallery
Try spraying some wd-40 on the latch and cable. Make sure you soak it wet. I've heard that this is what happens when you dont go ez on the hood when closing and let it slam shut on its own from a certain height. But yes, I had to replace mine thinking maybe it was the latch that had been somehow broken. After replacing it, the damn thing did the same thing. I was not about to buy another one so i just soak it wet with wd-40 and tada. It still does not close all the way sometimes but this is only when theres alot of dirt build up on the latch. I live in west texas so it gets pretty dirty most times. Everytime it didnt close correctly i just use wd-40 and it works. Give it a shot b4 u buy a new latch. Wish i knew this b4 buying the current one, as the current one is made of cheaper material. GL!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
athit87 is on a distinguished road
athit87's Tacoma Gallery
Ohh, one thing i forgot to add was make sure u spray the sh#$ out of the center bolt that holds the latch together. Thats where is often gets stuck. Im guessing when there is dirt build up there the latch that moves and locks the u bolt in place is having a hard time moving into place as you shut the hood. If there is no play in the cable and spring is intact it should work.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
ugmold's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks,

Mine is so wet with PB Blaster, Mystery Oil and Grease I'm surprised it hasn't drowned, thanks for the tip.

I ordered one up, now I'm skeptical....

-ug
Old 08-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #15
ugmold's Tacoma Gallery
Finally installed the new latch, works fine, was a little sticky after install, but has since, broken in.

For anybody doing this the Rock Auto source was great, price and delivery. Note there is a bolt, center, bottom that is covered by a plastic cap which needs to be pry'd off revealing the bolt, I didn't know what it was at first.

Thanks for the Help all.

-Ugmold