1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CB/Antenna mounting in my 04 Single cab

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by BrotherBudro, May 12, 2012.

1. May 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    BrotherBudro

BrotherBudro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Access Cab, V6 4X4
    Leer 100XR, Dual Battery, Dog Platform, Sleeping Platform, Ham, CB, Light Bar, Rear Lights,
    Hey guys, new to the forum. I recently bought an 04 Tacoma to replace my 91 Nissan. In my Nissan I had a Cobra CB and I snaked the antenna wire under the seats, up through the back sliding window to my Wilson mag mount antenna.

The new one doesn't have a sliding back window, and I think I want to get away from the mag mount. Do you guys have any ideas as to where/how to mount the antenna? I will probably end up getting a camper shell on it soon. So I'm thinking about getting a side mount for the antenna and mounting that on the camper shell.

Maybe like this?
    http://www.truckers-store.com/store-products-m2-FireStik-Moulded-Side-Mount_40127119.html

or...
    http://www.truckers-store.com/store-products-dm4a-FireStik-Dome-Mount_40127140.html

and mount that on the top of the camper

I have also seen some brackets to mount the antenna on the hood, but those only say they fit the 2nd gen. trucks. I think that might be one of the better options. Kinda like this
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/119088-cb-antenna-hood-mount-2nd-gen.html

I am kinda lost here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys

2. May 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Rather than running the coax through a window (possibility of rain water leaking in, less secure, etc), why not run it through one of the wiring boots under the front seats or firewall? From there, run the coax above the frame (held in place with wire ties) to wherever you want.

My coax is run under the trim to the front seat, under the front seat, through the rubber boot, over the frame to the bed, up through one of the drain holes (enlarged) in the bed, and up into my gull-wing toolbox, with my Wilson 2000 antenna mounted in the center of that toolbox. The aluminum of that toolbox (the bed itself is fiberglass, not metal) provides a nice ground plane.

3. May 12, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    BrotherBudro

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    Leer 100XR, Dual Battery, Dog Platform, Sleeping Platform, Ham, CB, Light Bar, Rear Lights,
    ^ my parents live in huntsville! (where i went to highschool)

anywho, all the wiring stuff sounds good. I have a friend that has his antenna mounted on the toolbox and that seems like a really great idea. but I will probably not go the toolbox route. Really digging a completely covered bed. I will do a camper top or a hard tonneau cover (more than likely camper top) any tips on mounting to the camper top or hood?

Thank you for the cabling tips tho. Where is your CB itself mounted? do you have any pics?

4. May 13, 2012 at 1:06 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    This is how I have mine. May have to change when I put a canopy on.
    This is the left front corner of the bed.
    No new holes, just used a longer version of the existing tie-down bolt.

[​IMG]

5. May 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    We just moved to Huntsville six months ago (Redstone), but are from the south and really like this area. We'll planning to eventually retire here.

Anyway, the toolbox works great for me. Since it's a gull-wing design (opens from the sides), the small area (5-inches) in the middle of the two lids is nearly the ideal place to install the antenna. The SWR with the Wilson 2000 is perfect, as are the on-air reports.

The radio is a Cobra 75WXST (nothing fancy), clipped to a microphone mount screwed into the dash. The truck will always have a radio of some type, so I didn't feel too guilty drilling the two small holes in the dash for that microphone mount.

As for your mounting an antenna to the camper roof or hood, you could use a non-ground plane antenna (the type designed for boats or RV's). Some say they've added metal to the inside of the camper's roof, but I'm not sold on that idea. For the hood, many seem to build their own mount which is attached to a bolt in the engine compartment somewhere under the lip of the hood. Most say this works pretty good.

No pics of my setup. I'm a terrible photographer. :eek: Good luck.

6. May 13, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    saundern

saundern Swerve for nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Simpsonville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport
  7. May 21, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    BrotherBudro

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    Some pics would be nice RidgeRunner. I'm still toying with a few ideas as far as radio and antenna mounting. So many options!

Kinda thinking about building some sort of box so i can put the radio in between the 2 seats (no armrest) and that could be my mount/new armrest which could be cool. Who knows

Open for any help or ideas!

8. May 21, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
  9. May 22, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    BrotherBudro

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    I just pm'd him
    That idea is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I hope he can make up some more, I'm not too crafty with that kinda stuff

10. May 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    I'm pretty sure when he's back from his vacay, he'll mass produce these things. They're probably the best CB mount I've seen on a first gen

11. May 23, 2012 at 5:16 AM
    BrotherBudro

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    ^ responded about 5 mins after i pm'd him

he said he had 6 left (now 5) for $30 each
    do it!

12. Aug 22, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    Taco Sos

Taco Sos Well-Known Member

Member:
    Culpeper, VA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma DC TRD 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s in front, 265/75/16 BFG A/T, Grey Wire Mod, Deck Palte Mod, Tint, Clarion Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, Dual 4 channel amp
    I really like this idea. I have a toolbox that i want to make easily removable and i think that will be less intrusive than some of the others I've seen. What bracket is that?

Products Discussed in

To Top