Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

01-04 factory fender flares on 98?

Old 05-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
yellowfin is on a distinguished road
Name: Boykin
yellowfin's Tacoma Gallery
01-04 factory fender flares on 98?

I'd like to start off by saying hello to all the members here this is my first post. I'm new to the tacoma world but a couple months ago I sold my Z71 and bought a 1998 tacoma 4x4 black limited ext cab, sunroof completly stock and absolutely love it!

my question is: it has the factory painted black limited fender flares on it but I'm thinking about buying a set of the stock sr5 ones off a 2001-04 from a member on here (you know the ones that fade out). Does anyone on here know if they will fit on my 98? I heard something about needing clips to install them? it looks like mine are screwed on there but I'm not sure. Would I be okay if he included the clips or screws? also are there some groments I need to try and locate too?

Any advice is greatly apprecitated!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
welcome and glad you sold your z71. those trucks are great, but not as great as tacomas.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt if the later model flares will fit, the clips on the later models my 04 for instance there are square hole in the panels for the blue and red clips to fit into, maybe take off one of your flares and see if the panels have additional square holes.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
musicmaan is on a distinguished road

musicmaan's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, they'll fit. I have them on my '98. All the mounting points in the inner fender are the same. If the rubbers are good, and you put pressure on them against your fender when you tighten up the inner fender screws, you will get a good seal. You could also put the two sided sticky 3M moulding tape on each of the upper mounting spots on the flares, and just stick them to the fender. I think I'll do that next time I pull them off.

MM
Old 05-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
RacerP will become famous soon enough
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
I doubt if the later model flares will fit, the clips on the later models my 04 for instance there are square hole in the panels for the blue and red clips to fit into, maybe take off one of your flares and see if the panels have additional square holes.
The clips don't matter at all...and when you take these off all the clips break anyhow.

There are a wide variety of clips available in both round and square from:

https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/To...eners_s/13.htm

Just a matter of making sure the holes line up or making new holes...and using the round clips.