Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1991 3.0 question

Old 05-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
saltbranch has a spectacular aura aboutsaltbranch has a spectacular aura about
saltbranch's Tacoma Gallery
1991 3.0 question

Are the 3.0 v-6's pretty reliable? Not going to be hotrodded or modded, just daily driver. Has 181k on it and everything looks good
Old 05-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
They have head gasket issues.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
They have head gasket issues.
X2
Old 05-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
H Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Heather
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of guys don't like them. If properly maintained, they can be good motors. Mine has over 200k miles on it and is going strong. I love mine and when it dies, I will replace it with another 3.slow. Here is a link to more info: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/80...e-posting.html
Old 05-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I had an 89 that I bought with 186k on it. Ran like a top, until 212k, when one of the intake boots cracked from being dry and it sucked a bunch of dust. Had it not gotten dusted I think it would have lasted longer than I had the truck for sure. I had it rebuilt and it ran great until I sold it at 246k. The kid I sold it to totalled it about 6 months after he bought it. I dont know where it is now. Also 180k should be the second timing belt change, IIRC.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Head gasket probs nd they are sluggish 3.slow
Old 05-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltbranch View Post
Are the 3.0 v-6's pretty reliable? Not going to be hotrodded or modded, just daily driver. Has 181k on it and everything looks good
My buddy had a 91 for awhile. The original engine blew the headgaskets at 75K. The headgaskets were changed, it happened again a week later. Turned out that the block was warped and the new gaskets wouldn't seal. New shortblock, and another set of headgaskets later, and it ran fine till around 130-140K when he sold it.

If it's had the original headgaskets replaced AND it's been well maintained after that, then it may be okay. I personally wouldn't buy one that's all original. Too big of a risk.

My buddy's truck did run really well when it was all fixed up. Slow to accelerate, but smooth. Once it was on the freeway, no problems holding 75 mph.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
saltbranch has a spectacular aura aboutsaltbranch has a spectacular aura about
saltbranch's Tacoma Gallery
Guy at work is wanting trade his 92' f250 7.3 IDI for my Yota. Both trucks are equally clean and condition. I have the need for a bigger truck, but I hate to get rid of this little jewel.Dont very many trucks this old in this good of shape.
1991 3.0 question-imag0246.jpg

1991 3.0 question-imag0247.jpg

1991 3.0 question-imag0250.jpg