Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Catalytic converter help

Old 05-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Bmangdog is on a distinguished road
Name: Brady
Bmangdog's Tacoma Gallery
Catalytic converter help

Hey guys I have a 2000 taco 3.4l 4wd and I was wondering if I took the cat off if it would make it not run as good? I know it will probably throw codes but that's fine... Thanks!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
Why do you want to take it off?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You would lose power and possible MPGs unless the cat is plugged up. Leave it on.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
You can buy a "high flow cat" if that's what you're trying to accomplish
Old 05-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
You would lose power and possible MPGs unless the cat is plugged up. Leave it on.
+1. If you run the exhaust too open you lose power-and gain a lot of sound. To me-bad tradeoff.
Unless you are an attention whore.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Removing the cat is also illegal.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
You can buy a "high flow cat" if that's what you're trying to accomplish
The stock cats are pretty much high flow. The only reason people see gains with high flow cats is because they are replacing a plugged up cat.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Hence the quotations
Old 05-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
Bmangdog is on a distinguished road
Name: Brady
Bmangdog's Tacoma Gallery
I had a ranger and removed it on there. I have decided not to. Thanks guys!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #10
Tacoma9396jrc is on a distinguished road
Name: Jacob
Tacoma9396jrc's Tacoma Gallery
I took cut mine off, didn't lose any power of mpgs. Gained alot of sound tho. mine is on a 96, but my check engine light does stay on
Old 05-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma9396jrc View Post
I took cut mine off, didn't lose any power of mpgs. Gained alot of sound tho. mine is on a 96, but my check engine light does stay on
See most people say this but they have no evidence to back it up. You did loose power but the new sound makes you think you are going faster. Even I fell for it once when I unbolted the exhaust from just behind the cat on my Ranger.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
this. i had mine stolen so i ran w/o a cat for a few weeks. it's too loud, my low end went down the toilet thus my right foot got heavier resulting in poor mpg, lol. leave it alone. weld on a muffler if you're after sound.