Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Thunking DRIVIN ME NUTS!!!

Old 05-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Geek with a gun
Cheesycook is on a distinguished road

Cheesycook's Tacoma Gallery
Thunking DRIVIN ME NUTS!!!

Okay guys, I am stumped. My rig is an 01 DC, 6Cylinder, AUTO, TRD Offroad 4x4. Almost 8 months ago I installed a ToyTec ~3.5" lift with new upper control arms, Bilstein 5100 shocks, and new OME leaf packs. I have been very happy with the setup and my pickup as a whole. However, I live in a rural area and have a recent thumping in the back that started out of nowhere and is driving me absolutely crazy. It sounds like it is coming from the rear and is definitely metal on metal. It doesn't really reverberate through the cab like bottoming out or anything. I can feel a slight vibration in my seat. It is exaggerated on speed bumps or off cantor drives that wobble the rig back and forth but also comes about with both wheels compressing at the same time but it has to be something like a speed bump to get it. A

At first I was certain it was my exhaust hitting my leaf spring but I put some clay on the spring and reproduced the sound without any sign of the clay being disturbed. I greased all my fittings, snugged up all the nuts and bolts I could find. I checked the spare tire, exhaust, heat shields, skid plates, canopy connections, trailer hitch, spring packs, lugs........ Nothing! I can't find anything causing this and cannot reproduce the sound standing on either side of the rear bumper jumping my 215 pound butt up and down rocking the truck for all it is worth.

Any off the wall ideas, boneheaded things I should check, or possible suspension issues that could cause this? Thanks in advance guys. My job is ending, three kids, and the wife just got diagnosed with MS. Getting this fixed would help alleviate the weight on my shoulders.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
dan476 is on a distinguished road
dan476's Tacoma Gallery
have you checked your u-bolts?
Old 05-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Geek with a gun

Yeah, I got maybe a single turn on half of them. Nothing that would have allowed for movement.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Shock bolts good and tight?
Old 05-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Your Unique, Just Like Everyone Else
TacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
TacoBran's Tacoma Gallery
carrier bearing shot?
Old 05-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
AbsolutPolack is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
AbsolutPolack's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if the 01's have the compartments in the bed like my 11 does but I store ratchet straps in them and it clunks. maybe you have something like that stored and kicking around. somewhere.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
Geek with a gun

Shock bolts are tight.

No compartments, used to think the thunking was all the tactical entry tools and coffee maker, but that's all out. Totally emptied and stripped.

Doesn't feel like axle wrap, plus I got the seven spring leaf's with no blocks. No feel of preload when taking off. Used to have serious wrap on my old mustang with stock springs.

How do I diagnose the carrier bearings? I get almost no vibration or noise driving at almost any speed.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
RacerP will become famous soon enough
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Check you sway bar links, I disconnected my links when I was installing my lift, and didn't snug them up enough, took a little while for them to loosen up too...

Kind of a pain to do with all the gunk on them, but, you need a socket and a hex head.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
You have a 3.5" front lift? I've been told from sources all over that 3" is THE absolute limit for IFS . Anything over requires drop bracket, & I tend to believe that only half an inch over is enough to cause all kinds of hell
Old 05-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
You have a 3.5" front lift? I've been told from sources all over that 3" is THE absolute limit for IFS . Anything over requires drop bracket, & I tend to believe that only half an inch over is enough to cause all kinds of hell
Would destroy the CV axles too
Old 05-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #12
TacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Also sorry to hear about your wife.

Is it a loud thunk?

Loose lug nuts?
Bed liner bouncing around?

Do you have an add a leaf, blocks, or new springs in the rear? Could something be loose here?

Shackles are all torqued to spec?

Is the noise when your tires first hit the bump or more when the weight is off the truck at the top of the bump? Basically when the suspension is compressing or releasing?
Old 05-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Bad body mount, or rear motor mount, maybe?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #14
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Don't completely rule out the front. I spent a ton of money on a roar that I would have bet my left nut was coming from the front of a Suburban I had. After much time and money spent on parts for the front, it turned out to be a bad wheel bearing in the rear.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
Geek with a gun

The front lift was not as high as the rear. It was 2.5" from the 5100 adjustable struts. The angle on the front shafts don't look bad at all.

Is it a loud thunk?
Sounds like someone dropped a five pound metal weight in the bed of the truck.
Loose lug nuts?
Checked those, good.
Bed liner bouncing around?
Spray on, did snug my canopy down with no change.
Do you have an add a leaf, blocks, or new springs in the rear? Could something be loose here?
Complete 7 leaf OME replacements. No signs of issues or looseness there.
Shackles are all torqued to spec?
Checking this weekend, but they are snug.
Is the noise when your tires first hit the bump or more when the weight is off the truck at the top of the bump? Basically when the suspension is compressing or releasing?
When the truck is compressing / coming down.

Luckily the family is heading out for the weekend to see Cirque de solei with grandma so I will get some quality time in the garage. Thanks for the suggestions all. I will keep you updated.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #17

Sounds like someone dropped a five pound metal weight in the bed of the truck.

Did you get new shocks with the lift? Or using the old?

Maybe one is blown from being over extended?? Really taking a stab in the dark now lol

Gas tank loose under there?

Keep us posted would like to know now haha
Old 05-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #18
Geek with a gun

Muffler was the first thing I thought it was, no dice. It's nice and tight and not hitting the leaf like I figured it was. Shocks are Billy 5100's that went in less than a year ago and seem fine. I did add the gas tank to the list of things to check this weekend. I know the skid is tight but sound didn't change empty tank to a full tank.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #19
hossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud of
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
I know with my OME Dakar leaf springs I had to move the axle back about 1 inch to correct how much the leaf springs moved the axle forward. I was bottoming out the slip joint on the drive shaft. I still have a clunk, which i know it's axle wrap and possibly the aft leaf clamp
Old 05-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #20
Geek with a gun

I would think that a viable thing except that I haven't had any thunking or issues like this for the past 8 months or so. So I would think we could eliminate bottoming out the slip joint as the axle hasn't moved. If anything it has gotten closer to stock with some slight settling.

I have gotten the thunk on speed bumps going pretty slow or going as fast as 35 hitting rough patches in the road. I try to take it easy turning now as to not aggravate anything. If I go REALLY slow over speed bumps it doesn't happen. I tried to replicate the sound by jumping on the bumper but I don't think I can equal the down force of the entire rear of the truck dropping an inch or two in a hurry.