Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Aftermarket fan clutch?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
No Money. No Love.
SmogSUX is on a distinguished road

SmogSUX's Tacoma Gallery
Aftermarket fan clutch?

Just wondering if any of you have had any experience with an aftermarket fan clutch. I've got a crazy loud squealing noise that the P/O thought was his fan belts, but I'm 99% sure it's the fan clutch.

Now I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with the $50ish fan cluthes you can get at Kragen, online, etc, or if they're garbage and if I should just shell out the $140 for a Toyota OEM one.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
most squeals at the front of the engine, are the idler pullys. Check those first.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice

Name: Donnie
02sr5trd's Tacoma Gallery
I have a brand new after market I bought and never put it on. I went with oem. 3.4 l. Let me know if u need it.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
Uncivilized Creations Prez
PrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Redz
PrezidentRedz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PrezidentRedz
Go Electric if your going to yank the fan off.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I used a Vatozone replacement on my Ranger and it would lock up most of the time.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Squirt water on the belt. If the noise goes away, it's the belt, or a misaligned pulley. If it stays, oil the idler and tensioner pulley, one by one. If it stays, it's probably the fan.
Get a mechanic's stethoscope to listen to the alternator and water pump bearings. $7-20 ish. It'll help you isolate the noise.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
No Money. No Love.

SmogSUX's Tacoma Gallery
I'll look (listen) more in depth, but it's for a 2.7.

The only diagnosing I really did was noticed that it only squeals upon startup and the second it goes away I hear the clutch fan catch and start blowing air for a second. Does it every single start up warm or cold and goes away within 30 seconds. When it's warm it'll go away in like 5 seconds.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmogSUX View Post

The only diagnosing I really did was noticed that it only squeals upon startup and the second it goes away I hear the clutch fan catch and start blowing air for a second. Does it every single start up warm or cold and goes away within 30 seconds. When it's warm it'll go away in like 5 seconds.
Water pump bearing maybe?

I've used a couple parts store clutches. They seemed to work okay. Never put a lot of miles on them though, by the time I needed one replaced the vehicle had a lot of miles on it already.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:06 AM   #9
Uncivilized Creations Prez
PrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Redz
PrezidentRedz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PrezidentRedz
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmogSUX View Post

very possible the belt it just loose. I had the same issue on my 2.7 PS pump belt.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
A properly working clutch fan will be engaged with a cold startup. Until the silicone inside the clutch heats up, then it disengages.

Let is know what else you find.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
No Money. No Love.

SmogSUX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
A properly working clutch fan will be engaged with a cold startup. Until the silicone inside the clutch heats up, then it disengages.

Let is know what else you find.
That's why I figured it was the clutch fan. Only when the squealing went away would I hear the clutch fan engage and push some air. I'm gonna check it out tomorrow though in depth...so embarrassing every time I start my truck.