Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Big problems from starter and Taco.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Starter motor problems...Help!

First here are the specs: 3.4 V6, xtracab, 4WD, 1996, automatic, only 81,000 miles!

Problem: It began a couple months ago, the starter would sometimes click once and not crank over. You would have to turn back and forth until it cranked. Well today it cranked, but wouldn't stop cranking, even with the key out it still cranked. Then it starts getting even more weird. Pulling out from school I had it floored, but hardly any power. I was in a rush to get home and get the battery cables disconnected. The engine felt like it was putting out hardly any power, it was an effort to get up to 45 at first. While the starter was cranking the emergency brake light stayed on dimly.
I live 10 miles away and after about 4 to 5 minutes of cranking, the starter quit. It seemed normal after it quit but the engine seemed to still be acting a little odd, nothing like it was though.

I need to know what is wrong, I was worried that i was going to lose it at only 81,000 miles.
The loss if power from the engine, and the fact I might have tore up something are what worry me. The truck is sitting in the garage with the battery unhooked, I haven't tried to start it since. I know I am going to need a new starter now.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anyone?

I realize that I need a new starer, but what is with having no power? Is it something to do with too much drain on the battery? I need some help here please.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror View Post
I realize that I need a new starer, but what is with having no power? Is it something to do with too much drain on the battery? I need some help here please.
Might be electric or a sensor is dead/stuck.
Start with getting a new/rebuilding your starter.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
Rmesa1 is just really niceRmesa1 is just really niceRmesa1 is just really niceRmesa1 is just really nice
Rmesa1's Tacoma Gallery
Power loss is due to the drag of the starter staying engaged with the engine running. Thats why it got better when the starter quit turning. Put in a new starter and you should be fine
Old 05-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
got 5VZFE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmesa1 View Post
Power loss is due to the drag of the starter staying engaged with the engine running. Thats why it got better when the starter quit turning. Put in a new starter and you should be fine
I will definitely have a new starter put in. I would also understand a minor loss in power, but it was pretty major for a little while. I had to really get down hard on the gas for some minor acceleration at first, worried me quite a bit, but I'll replace the starter and go from there.

In addition to the engine acting weird and the major loss in power, as long as the starter was running, the E-brake light stayed lit dimly. The light went off as soon as the stater quit cranking. Any clues for that one?

Thanks for the info!
Old 05-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #6
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror View Post
I will definitely have a new starter put in. I would also understand a minor loss in power, but it was pretty major for a little while. I had to really get down hard on the gas for some minor acceleration at first, worried me quite a bit, but I'll replace the starter and go from there.

In addition to the engine acting weird and the major loss in power, as long as the starter was running, the E-brake light stayed lit dimly. The light went off as soon as the stater quit cranking. Any clues for that one?

Thanks for the info!
I've always heard to just clean the contacts, ie sand and clean them up, then coat them liberally in di-electric. It's been my experience that starters in Toyotas rarely go bad.

However, after your starter-drag-race-of-death...it may be time for a new one.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Replace the starter and we'll go from there. Don't worry to much, we got your back.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
got 5VZFE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJPP View Post
However, after your starter-drag-race-of-death...it may be time for a new one.
LOL.

Thanks everyone!