1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad wheel bearings? 1998 4x4

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Killer, May 14, 2012.

1. May 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM
    Killer

Killer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 TRD V6 3.4L SR5 XCab Gold with Tan Int
    19,000 Original Miles, Factory Alarm, Factory Tow Package, Low Profile UWS Black Tool Box, 20ft. of Dynamat Xtreme, Pioneer Double Din DVD 3200BT, IPod Holder, Q Form Kick Panels, 3 Pairs of MB Quart component speakers, JL Audio Stealthbox, Alpine PDX-5 amp, PIAA Foglights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Maxxis Big Horn Mud Tires 32 x 11.5 R x 15, Wet Okole Seat Cover for 60/40 Bench, 5100's Front & Rear, Wheeler's Single Leaf AAL, Warn 8,000 Winch, Warn Transformer Brush Guard, Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn
    My sons truck is vibrating anything above 35 mph. The Maxis Bighorns are a little over 1 year old with around 15,000 miles. The tires have been rotated and balanced 3 times. Alignment has been done twice.

I then greased the crap out of the driveline 3 times in the past few months.

The vibration has gotten a little worse over the past few months.

After a fellow Tacoma World member said it could be my wheel bearings, I jacked it up. The passenger side had more movement in it when I shook the wheel but, less noise. No movement up or down but, maybe 1/4" measured at the outside of the tire.

The drivers side had less movement but, more noise. It sounded like the brake pad dragging but, the tire rolled freely.

The back tires had no movement at all.

2. May 14, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    Killer

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    19,000 Original Miles, Factory Alarm, Factory Tow Package, Low Profile UWS Black Tool Box, 20ft. of Dynamat Xtreme, Pioneer Double Din DVD 3200BT, IPod Holder, Q Form Kick Panels, 3 Pairs of MB Quart component speakers, JL Audio Stealthbox, Alpine PDX-5 amp, PIAA Foglights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Maxxis Big Horn Mud Tires 32 x 11.5 R x 15, Wet Okole Seat Cover for 60/40 Bench, 5100's Front & Rear, Wheeler's Single Leaf AAL, Warn 8,000 Winch, Warn Transformer Brush Guard, Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn
    If it is the wheel bearings, where the best place to get the whole assemble? I am a parts changer and not a mechanic!

3. May 14, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    TMW

TMW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Light bar and bumper guard, 3/16 steel skid plates for engine, tranny and transfer box, OME 881 springs with 5100 shocks at mid clip. AAL in rear. Positraction rear diff.
    The dealer or most tire shops will do wheel bearings as well as brakes.

4. May 15, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    glsmaverick

glsmaverick Well-Known Member

Member:
    Howell MI
    Vehicle:
    96 Taco; 2.7l 4x4 5spd
    None
    I am interested in your results as I am getting some mean shakes after 45 through 70ish. I am curious if it is my wheel bearings but haven't had time to check.

5. May 15, 2012 at 8:00 AM
    ST3VE

ST3VE IG: @fishsohard

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    MD --> SC
    Tint, car seat, baby wipes
    Lift one tire at a time off the ground and try and wiggle the rim... not spin. If the tire "wobbles" then you have a bad bearing. You can fix it pretty cheap too. I made a video on how to do it too.

Wheel Bearing Video.

6. May 15, 2012 at 8:30 AM
    wcp0611

wcp0611 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Rockvale, TN
    Vehicle:
    wcp0611@gmail.com
    Grey wire and keyless entry. I like stock.
    He's got a 98, not an 05+. Get ready, bc a bearing replacement is more expensive with the older trucks. You sure it the bearings and not the ball joint or TRE's?

PM me if you need cheap bearings. I work a auto parts wholesaler so I get at quite a discount.

7. May 15, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    Killer

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    It wobbles a little side to side but, not up or down.

8. May 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    Tylerm5000

Tylerm5000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7l reg cab 4x4 5-speed red pearl
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    From my experience, I have a 95 Tacoma. The wheel bearings do not have noticeable play when they start to go bad. They clank and clunk. They don't move side-to-side. They may start to vibrate if they are really bad, but they retain a lot of their alignment due to the taper and extreme torque on the nut that holds them in. I would check the drive line first.

If you want more information on how I did it, PM me. It is not the easiest job and there is no cutting corners. I ended up having to buy a new hub because I damaged the old one trying to get it out of the spindle. There is a lock washer that is tough to get to between the hub and spindle. And it takes a special tool that I had to buy to torque the hub nut back on. The hub nut was loose from the wear over the years. It was far from being the correct torque.

9. May 15, 2012 at 10:25 AM
    Tylerm5000

Tylerm5000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7l reg cab 4x4 5-speed red pearl
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    The brakes will make noise when you move the tire so that is a poor indicator. If it isn't making loud clunky noises and literally grinding when you drive, then they aren't bad yet. They last a long time. My right side went bad first at 180k. Now my left has a slight clunk so I am going to have to change it now at 195k.

I have my fingers crossed for you. It isn't a nightmare if it is, but don't expect to be ale to do it if you don't have a couple pullers and a press... And a lot of patience.

10. May 15, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    Rippin101

Rippin101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jax Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4
    -Nitto G2 265/70/17 -Level 8 MK6 Wheels -Katzkin Leather Black on Black -BHLM -Weathertech -Extang Solid Fold -Bedlight LEDs -TRD Skid
    I am having steering wheel vibrations 60-75 mph. Just recently put on new wheels with the same tires that were on my stock wheels. I read somewhere else that it might be becuase my new wheels are not hubcentric and I might need to include a hub ring to balance the difference? Anyone have any experience with this problem?

Products Discussed in

To Top