Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Does my A/C Need To Be Recharged?

Old 05-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Does my A/C Need To Be Recharged?

I know there was just a A/C Thread about a second gen and the guy figured it out by pulling his fuse.

My A/C will blow cold air when its fairly cold outside, but today it was 91 and my A/C was hot as hell.

Should I get it Recharged? Its a 96 and probably has original coolant. Where would be the best place to get this done?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ac-advice.html
Old 05-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
The refrigerant does not go bad and does not need to be "changed"
If it's leaking, the system needs to be fixed.

It is normal for the AC to blow warmer when outside temps are higher, but no, it should not be "hot".

You can try topping it up with a DIY kit, but that's really just a temporary fix, and quite often the stop-leak in the DIY kits will fuck up the compressor when the system is finally opened up for a proper repair.
IF you go DIY, resist the urge to overcharge. Everyone seems to think that more "freon" means it will work better... this is not the case.

Now...

You may already be overcharged if someone has done the DIY thing already.
When it it hotter, the pressure in the system goes up.
The system has a low-pressure sensor to protect the compressor from being run with insufficient refrigerant, but there is also a high-limit sensor that shuts the compressor down when system pressure gets too high.

Tomorrow, open the hood and watch the compressor. When you turn the AC on, the clutch should engage. If it does not engage, then wait until tomorrow night after it cools down, and verify that it engages then. If so, the system is overcharged and needs to be properly balanced.

Seriously... the best thing to do is take it to a shop and have the system checked.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Right on thanks guys I will try this in the morning!

If nothing else I'll take it to my mechanic at lunch