LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Any interest in upgraded steering rack bushings??

Old 05-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Any interest in upgraded steering rack bushings for 1st gen 2wd??

I was thinking of making some sets of rack bushings since they seem to be unavailable unless you purchase an entire rack assembly!

Crazy....gotta be a better way, and there is!

If there is enough interest I will build a batch using oilite, it is an oil impregnated brass casting, these should last the life of the truck.

Another benefit would be more precise steering input without deflection on the worn out rubber bushings that ususally get oil soaked and turn into mush.

Any interest?? The cost will be affordable, the more I make the cheaper it is as most of you know...
Old 05-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter423 View Post
how much brother
Not sure, I haven priced a complete stick of oilite, but I am thinking anywhere between $60 and $80 for pair, after cost of material and having it machined at a shop.

If I get enough interest I will start a group buy and that will help cut costs toward the lower end of the estimate.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Color me curious.............
Old 05-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
DEFINITELY INTERESTED! !!
Old 05-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Turbo Meister

Nice, getting more interest over here than CT, its a damn ghost town over there, lol.

I got probably 10 PMs about new bushings, i put up a post and absolutely no takers...? Everybody wants a set until the time comes to pay up, then people tend to look at the ground and walk away...

I figures if it was cheap enough I would have a friggin flood of orders, I see sooooo many Tacos with bushings as soft as gummy bears, mine included!
Old 05-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
Turbo Meister

I see some of you are 2nd gens, I will look at those and see if I can make sets for those as long as its roughly the same configuration, then I can make bushings for those as well, shouldnt be a problem.

What I do is order a complete rack, remove and measure the bushings and then send it back and say I didnt need it, free R&D!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Which piece is this? The actual tie rod end?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #9
Turbo Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs257 View Post
Which piece is this? The actual tie rod end?
No its the actual bushing that holds the rack to the frame of the truck. If you go in the truck and turn your wheel back and fourth slightly and very little happens, most likely your bushings have play, even brand new truck have a little, and older ones usually have a LOT!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Ah... I see~ My tie rod end has grease oozing out which is why I asked.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
Turbo Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs257 View Post
Ah... I see~ My tie rod end has grease oozing out which is why I asked.
That means its time for a regrease!
If ya need any maintenance let me know I work on cars for a living as well as fabrication, and teaching SCUBA diving...gotta multi-faceted these days in order to make a buck!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #12

nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Freek View Post
That means its time for a regrease!
If ya need any maintenance let me know I work on cars for a living as well as fabrication, and teaching SCUBA diving...gotta multi-faceted these days in order to make a buck!
There is no grease zerks! AT ALL! It really sucks!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #13
dorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud of

Name: Shane
dorkmagus's Tacoma Gallery
You don't have to buy an entire rack.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacorackbushkit.htm
Old 05-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
Turbo Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkmagus View Post
You don't have to buy an entire rack.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacorackbushkit.htm
Sheesh, i guess there is bushings (polyurethane) last time I searched I couldnt find them..

So I guess the question now is who would want a set made from oilite?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #16
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2004 4x4. What part are you talking about in the picture from below. When you say it attaches the rack to the frame do you mean the grommet?

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...4wdpr/comp.pdf
Old 05-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMW View Post
I have a 2004 4x4. What part are you talking about in the picture from below. When you say it attaches the rack to the frame do you mean the grommet?

Only one bushing labeled 'grommet' is shown. You won't see it in the FSM because it is not a Toyota recommended repair. They want you to buy a whole new rack.

You can see what bushings need replacement here: http://www.lieblweb.com/steeringbush.html

Also check out the wheelers link above for more info.

I did this a few weeks ago. This a GREAT "mod" if you're experiencing poor or loose steering and double bump or clunky steering over rough roads. I highly suggest it and wish I did it earlier

Jason - I'd like to see what you come up with... Greasable somehow?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #18
Turbo Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMW View Post

Yeah, the grommet and the 2 little bushings on the other side of the rack.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #19
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Don't see any for 2nd gens in that link...................
Old 05-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #20
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Don't see any for 2nd gens in that link...................
Sounds like energy is working on it... ETA June or July. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...-bushings.html

Jason - Beat em to it!