1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clean Throttle Body & MAFS??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by NYProud, May 15, 2012.

1. May 16, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    those are really good write-ups,. when I did mine, I had the gasket for the throttle body and the idle air valve, which is on the side of the of the throttle body, so good time to clean it also. Hey, if I can do it without losing a finger or swearing like a sailor anyone can. you have to respect toyota for how simple most things are on these trucks and for not having 100 different sizes of bolts on every part.
    remember to reset your computer, for at least 30 mins. i did mine overnight, and for about 20 miles it idle strange, maybe a little high but that is the computer relearning the airflow. I drove mine around doing errands the next day and by the time I was home I was fine.
    any questions just ask.
    parts stores have them or can order it, just go by your year and engine, advance told me 2 gaskets, and I said yes,,,, one gasket is large for the throttle body to intake,
    second is Idle air valve to throttle body

2. Jun 10, 2018 at 8:50 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Icon Stage 5, Nexen Roadian MTX, Fuel KB43 Block wheels, Baja Design XL 80s, Baja Squad Pro WC fogs, TacoVinyl grill, "dudebro" lights, Prinsu rack, trail rash pinstripes, BAMF hybrid bumper, sliders, and LCA skids, and a few other things I can't think of.
    Is there a good write-up for cleaning the Throttle body on a 2002 ?

Thanks.. those links are all expired or missing photos.

3. Jun 10, 2018 at 9:18 PM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    Cleaning a throttle body is always a risky deal if you have a lot of miles.
    You can end up with a high idle 2000 rpms after cleaning that you can’t get ride of because the carbon
    build up was acting as a gasket around the butterfly and the inside wall. Sometimes cleaning all that
    carbon from around the butterfly will show wear to the inside throttle body wall and or the butterfly it’s self. This is a common thing that happens and now you have a bigger problem to deal with.
    Sometimes if it’s not broke means leaving it alone, cleaning the MAF is fine.
    You probably have the bullet MAF, SO you need to take the whole tube section out to be able to clean the MAF
    So just know this going in.

a400ryan and xguntherc like this.
  4. Jun 10, 2018 at 9:28 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Icon Stage 5, Nexen Roadian MTX, Fuel KB43 Block wheels, Baja Design XL 80s, Baja Squad Pro WC fogs, TacoVinyl grill, "dudebro" lights, Prinsu rack, trail rash pinstripes, BAMF hybrid bumper, sliders, and LCA skids, and a few other things I can't think of.
    Hmmm. Well my girls truck has like 140k

5. Jun 10, 2018 at 11:25 PM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    If she has a 3.4 then watch my badly made video.

https://youtu.be/kKZ6TVn_IPU

6. Jun 11, 2018 at 12:30 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    I clean the throttle Body and IAC valve when I get the vehicle Depending on how things look I just install a New MAF

Close to 100,000 since that was done

7. Jun 11, 2018 at 8:07 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    We'll @1997tacomav6 she idles great for 140k. I just cleaned the MAF sensor and replaced the air filter. Starts at 1100, idles at a cool 700.

So basically purs like a kitten. Maybe I shouldn't mess with the TB

8. Jun 11, 2018 at 8:12 PM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    Cool beans, the TB is where you might have an issue, hopefully not if you decide.
    The MAF usually has no issues.
    If the truck is running perfect I would just run with it

9. Jun 14, 2018 at 7:34 AM
    xguntherc

xguntherc Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Well, I'm trying to get rid of a check engine light and an occasional gasoline smell. Think the MAF fixed the running Rich. Still need to figure out the others

Products Discussed in

To Top