Notices

Clean Throttle Body & MAFS??

Old 05-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
NYProud is on a distinguished road
Air Force: CMSgt, Avionics Tech (ret)
Name: Chief
NYProud's Tacoma Gallery
Clean Throttle Body & MAFS??

I'm wondering if any of you guys make cleaning the throttle body and Mass Air Flow Sensor (3.4 V6 5VZ engine) a regular maintenance step.

Is it a critical step, and if so, how often should it be done. I wanted to attempt it but, I read the MAFS is really delicate to mess with, and I have never tried to remove the throttle body.

Would appreciate any information you can provide. My`98 Taco TRD 4x4 just went over 179K miles, and I'm trying to do everything I can to tweak performance....Thank you, as always...Chief
Old 05-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Cleaning the MAF is very easy to do. Just unplug the wiring harness it connects to and remove two screws. Pull it out and spray it down with some MAF cleaner. Just do not touch any part of the sensor itself. Not with the spray tube or your fingers. Let it dry and put it back together.

I have not cleaned the TB yet, but it seemed pretty straightforward from a write up I saw on here.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Make sure you use actual MAF cleaner and Throttle Body cleaner.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Who needs roads?
Taco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
Taco me elmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Make sure you use actual MAF cleaner and Throttle Body cleaner.
MAF

TB

Old 05-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
^^^^Yup but I don't use seafoam. I use throttle body cleaner.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Who needs roads?
Taco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
^^^^Yup but I don't use seafoam. I use throttle body cleaner.
That is throttle body cleaner, its by seafoam and does a better job than the run of the mill throttle body spray.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco me elmo View Post
That is throttle body cleaner, its by seafoam and does a better job than the run of the mill throttle body spray.
Ah. I thought it was just plain old seafoam. I won't run the original crap in my intake.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Who needs roads?

Quote:
Ah. I thought it was just plain old seafoam. I won't run the original crap in my intake.
Yeah my truck runs funny if i do it into the vacuum line. I run half a can in the gas sometimes..
Old 05-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
CRC also makes a TB cleaner spray. I use that and the CRC MAF cleaner.

Like mentioned above, do not touch the sensor with anything but spray. Also, clean out the carb in the MAF ring.

Throttle body is straight forward... I removed mine so I could clean behind the butterfly plate and not get gunk in my IAC holes. 2 screws, 2 nuts, and 3 sensors to do this. If you do this, replace the gasket. A toothbrush is extremely helpful!
Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco me elmo View Post
Yeah my truck runs funny if i do it into the vacuum line. I run half a can in the gas sometimes..
I ran it on my Ranger but I didn't think that when you run it through the vacuum line all that crap in the intake manifold is going into the cylinders. Not real good for the rings.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
CliffordBRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Cliff
CliffordBRD's Tacoma Gallery
I just did mine not long ago, really helped out the idle stumble. Do it all at once if you do it, since the intake tube will already be disconnected from the mafs, might as well pull the other end. Mine was near black all around, took some work, but looks like new now!

Good luck
Old 05-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Some TB pics before and after... Front and back... You can see the build up on the backside which is why I remove mine when cleaning. And yes I cleaned up the mating surface before reinstalling

Old 05-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #14

boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmc View Post
also, spring for the 2 dollar part and replace your gasket every time you remove the tb
^^^ this
Old 05-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #15
Dek Ngo is on a distinguished road
Name: D
Dek Ngo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmc View Post
also, spring for the 2 dollar part and replace your gasket every time you remove the tb
What's the part number for this gasket?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
Whenever I do my timing belt, I pull the TB and clean it. At the same time, I replaced the "D" shaped gasket with the supercharger gasket ("O" shaped, ie, more air flow). I did my first timing belt at 130,000 and the TB wasn't too dirty. I would say that it won't need it that often unless you are a desert runner type, like someone mentioned above.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #17

boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dek Ngo View Post
What's the part number for this gasket?
I recommend asking your Toyota parts rep. Give him your VIN to be 100% sure.

I've used engine part numbers from forums in the past and came to realize there were subtle differences even with similar engine types. For example, ECTS throttle bodies implemented in 2003, manuals vs autos, 4w vs 2w.

Just my preference... Helps ensure I do the job once.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #18

boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Or use this...

http://www.toyotapartsales.com/parts...rchText=&make=
Old 05-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
Muscles is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Load Master
Name: Kyle
Muscles's Tacoma Gallery
use what?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #20

boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles View Post
use what?
The link... Search for your part based on your engine

http://www.toyotapartsales.com/parts...74&searchText=