Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

frame rust

Old 05-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
Jeremy175 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeremy
Jeremy175's Tacoma Gallery
frame rust

I recently acquired a 2000 Toyota Tacoma and upon further inspection, I have found rust holes in the frame. I understand Toyota has a frame rust recall or something on 95-04 Tacoma. Any info or guidance on getting this fixed through Toyota would be appreciated.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
precoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: corey
precoma's Tacoma Gallery
from what i have read you just take it into the dealer and tell them you want the frame rust inspection and they beat the shit out of the frame with hammers intell it crumbles or stays solid if its good they re paint and coat it and if it crumbles they replace it
Old 05-16-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
FishinTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: D'Arcy
FishinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Jeremy, there is lots of info on here about it, have a search around.
Call Toyota with your VIN to see if it has been checked yet, there is also a website for it. If it has, you are likely eligible for the extended 15yr frame warrantee. Years 1995.5 to 2000 were bought back by Toyota at 1.5x KBB. If it is a 2001 to 2004 they will re-frame it at their cost.

If the truck has not previously been checked and/or undercoated, you are out of luck as the time to get your truck in has elapsed and the 15yrs extended frame warrantee does not apply. Their are some folks on here that are in the same boat as you and are contesting their cases. If I were you I would have a chat with them.

I've been through both the buy back and the re-frame.
Cheers,
Old 05-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
I seriously doubt this truck has been inspected. I hope it makes a difference that I just got the truck about a month ago.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy175 View Post
I seriously doubt this truck has been inspected. I hope it makes a difference that I just got the truck about a month ago.
IIRC a truck purchased after the recall was annoced you would any get what you paid for it back. Thats IF its still under the 15 years which a 2000 should be. Call toyota sucks to lose your truck so soon after buying it.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
sportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sportsterchop200's Tacoma Gallery
I purchased an 03 less than a year ago that came from Ohio. I live in Florida. I found out about this issue after the fact and took it back to the dealer. They advised that it was checked before the sell and I had them re check it. I am told everything is good even though the frame appears fairly rusty. I also contacted Toyota and they said that the recoating is not available in my area and if the dealer approved, they would send a new frame to replace the old one. No buy back or recoating option. As of now I have begun repainting the frame myself. So far it seems to be OK. I still have not done the hammer and punch test yet.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterchop200 View Post
I purchased an 03 less than a year ago that came from Ohio. I live in Florida. I found out about this issue after the fact and took it back to the dealer. They advised that it was checked before the sell and I had them re check it. I am told everything is good even though the frame appears fairly rusty. I also contacted Toyota and they said that the recoating is not available in my area and if the dealer approved, they would send a new frame to replace the old one. No buy back or recoating option. As of now I have begun repainting the frame myself. So far it seems to be OK. I still have not done the hammer and punch test yet.
The recoating isnt so hot anyways it falls off in a year. I would whack all the areas with a hammer myself. My truck was recoated and tested but i got it to fail in my driveway
Old 05-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by capetaco12 View Post
IIRC a truck purchased after the recall was annoced you would any get what you paid for it back. Thats IF its still under the 15 years which a 2000 should be. Call toyota sucks to lose your truck so soon after buying it.
FWIW I bought my old '97 for $4k in Nov 2010, clearly after the recall was announced, and it was bought back from me less than six months later for $8600!

Go have it inspected! it's possible you just hit the jackpot
Old 05-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
So, would I be better off going to a local dealer or calling Toyota? I am really hoping Toyota will buy it back.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
.<>./

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy175 View Post
So, would I be better off going to a local dealer or calling Toyota? I am really hoping Toyota will buy it back.
The dealer takes care of it for toyota.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
Ok, thanks
Old 05-17-2012, 06:13 AM   #12
FishinTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: D'Arcy
FishinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
For Canada and most states there was a deadline. If you did not have your truck in for it's first check-up by October of 2011 (some dealerships moved to dec etc..) it would not qualify for the buy back program or re-frame job.

The dealership here in town was turning people down just weeks after the last due date.

Hope this clears things up, and I've got my finger crossed for you.

DC
Old 05-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #13
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
I know hind site is 20/20 but does anyone ever even think to look under a vehicle before buying it?

Thats the first thing I do,if there are oil leaks I usually pass and go no further, then under the hood, next look for hail and body damage, then if it passes I do the test drive.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
.<>./

If it is out of warranty im pretty sure you can contact toyota corp. There is some kind of an attempt going in the courtroom to get the warranty extended again