LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Engine turns over, have spark but no start

Old 05-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
shane2loco4u is on a distinguished road
shane2loco4u's Tacoma Gallery
Engine turns over, have spark but no start

Turned my truck off when I got home and went to start it after about 1 hour and all it will do is turn over (new battery) not even a sputter. I pulled a spark plug and have a good spark. Pulled the breather and sprayed starting fluid an it ran for a few seconds sounded good. Engine was running normal when parked it and gas tank is near full. Checked fuses under hood and in cab but nothing is blown. Check engine light is on and disconnecting the battery for any length of time will not shut it off, being miles from town I cant take it to autozone to check the code. Any suggestions? sounds like fuel to me but with modules, sensors, pump... dont know where to begin. Also cracked open a fuel line exit side of the filter and fuel seeps out. Thanks in advance for imput.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane2loco4u View Post
Also cracked open a fuel line exit side of the filter and fuel seeps out. Thanks in advance for imput.
Did you turn the key on when you did this? It should spray out if the key is on and fuel pumping running.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
I turned the key on then turned the ignition over. There was no spray just wet fuel line (not a lot of fuel on the line). Will the pump kick on with the key on or does the engine need to be turning over.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I turned the key on then turned the ignition over. There was no spray just wet fuel line (not a lot of fuel on the line). Will the pump kick on with the key on or does the engine need to be turning over.
When the key is on (no turning of engine), you should be able to hear your fuel pump whine. So, yes, the pump kicks on when the key is turned on.

Fuel has to be to the engine before it can turn over.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
amain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
amain's Tacoma Gallery
The fuel pump should spray fuel when the key is on. It uses a pressure regulator and continually recirculates fuel. Check for a bad fuse. You should hear the pump in the tank running when the key is on and when the fuel line is removed it should spray good.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Purchase or borrow a code reader, so we all don't have to guess.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
Be back Summer of 2014
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
Purchase or borrow a code reader, so we all don't have to guess.
agreed, got mine on sale.

Anyways, I am guessing a fuel pump or fuse.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:43 AM   #9
Lightbulb

Thanks for all of the input. I'm going to try to find a code reader today. I did turn the key on and get close to the gas tank but heard nothing running. Having never purposely listened for the fuel pump I don't know how loud it should be. I double checked the fuses (under hood and in cab)and found them all to be good. Which relay would be the one to check and how do I check it. Thanks again
Old 05-17-2012, 06:13 AM   #10
Ga tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudy
Ga tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
When you try to listen for your fuel pump, you may need someone to help you. When you first turn your key to start, your fuel pump will run only for 6 seconds and if it does not detect your engine running, it will turn off the pump. Someone needs to be in the cab and turn on the key as you listen by the tank. You may be able to hear it better by taking off your gas cap, it should not splash any gas up the tube. Good Luck.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #11
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
Could it be the fuel filter? How many miles on this 96?
Old 05-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for all of the input. I'm going to try to find a code reader today. I did turn the key on and get close to the gas tank but heard nothing running. Having never purposely listened for the fuel pump I don't know how loud it should be. I double checked the fuses (under hood and in cab)and found them all to be good. Which relay would be the one to check and how do I check it. Thanks again
If you have someone turn the key to run, not crank, while you are under the hood you should hear the relay click on for a short period of time (5 or 6 seconds) then click off again when the engine does not crank within that period. Do it a couple times until you find the relay, if you don't ever hear the click, nothing is telling the fuel pump to run. The pump will sound like a dull buzz. If you hear the pump running, check other things like filter or regulator.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
Thanks for all the imput, traced the problem down to the plug going into the gas tank for the fuel pump. It was melted inside and shorted out.