Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cruise control doesn't work sometimes?

Old 05-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
04tacomatrd is on a distinguished road
04tacomatrd's Tacoma Gallery
Cruise control doesn't work sometimes?

sometimes my cruise control works fine and sometimes it doesn't...anybody know why?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
about 70..but i've tried it at 70-75 many times..always worked.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Can you turn on cruise control, just not set it? If so...

Make sure your clutch pedal is coming back to the full top position.

It may not be making contact with the cruise control switch. This is exactly what was happening with mine.

If it happens while youre driving, just put your foot behind the clutch pedal and push it all the way up. Then try it again.

Post #6 was incredibly helpful (as were a couple more of his posts later in the thread): http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...l-problem.html

For me it turned out that the switch was a little gunked up, but the real issue is my clutch pedal doesn't always come all the way up every time.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
Black Hills Tony is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Maytag Repairman
Black Hills Tony's Tacoma Gallery
Check your shift nob adjustment if you have an automatic transmission. I have a little bit of "play" in my transmission gear selctor. I've had situations when I put it in "drive " but it was just slightly pushed forward toward "neutral". It'll drive fine, but cruise control won't work. I've learned that I just need to jig the shift nob back to that it is fully set in the "drive" position. Then my cruise control works. Maybe you have same issue.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills Tony View Post
Check your shift nob adjustment if you have an automatic transmission. I have a little bit of "play" in my transmission gear selctor. I've had situations when I put it in "drive " but it was just slightly pushed forward toward "neutral". It'll drive fine, but cruise control won't work. I've learned that I just need to jig the shift nob back to that it is fully set in the "drive" position. Then my cruise control works. Maybe you have same issue.
If you scroll over his truck description (dashed blue lined box under his name) it says he has a manual
Old 05-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
tacocowboy300 is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
tacocowboy300's Tacoma Gallery
Check the upper clutch switch when your driving by pulling up on the clutch pedal with your foot, hold it there, and then try setting the cruise. My truck was having the same issue and I ended up replacing that switch/sensor and all is good now. If you look under the dash and look at the clutch pedal arm you will see what Im talking about, it will be engaging that sensor when the pedal is up.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I started getting aggravated with mine because every now and then the cruise control wouldn't work and then I realized it was only when I used the clutch start cancel to start my truck.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
^Son of a hamster, I smell of elderberries.
400lbGorilla is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: OS
Name: T-LAM
400lbGorilla's Tacoma Gallery
This is similiar to what happened in my wife's 06 corolla. Check your clutch like others said, put your foot under the clutch pedal, lift it up and try to set it. For us the switch went bad, had to buy a new one on ebay.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
cmf21 is on a distinguished road
cmf21's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure it's in drive. Move the lever forward and back to make sure. I've had this happen to me every once in awhile.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
Black Hills Tony is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Maytag Repairman
Black Hills Tony's Tacoma Gallery
Thnaks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
If you scroll over his truck description (dashed blue lined box under his name) it says he has a manual
Old 05-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #13
Thanks!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #14

Did you diagnose it?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #15
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Whats the minimum speed the cruise control can be set at? I was in a 15mph zone and well.... im not very good at cruising at 15mph for more that a couple minutes... so i tried to set the cruise control but it wouldn't work. kind of annoying. I can get it to cruise at 35 i think.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #16
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
I have tried pulling up on the clutch pedal and still nothing happens for me, the cruise light cuts on but won't set. I think my clock spring is bad though rather than it bein that switch... Damn rack and pinion install
Old 05-22-2012, 12:22 AM   #17
Epic Member
tvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tvbd56's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
Whats the minimum speed the cruise control can be set at? I was in a 15mph zone and well.... im not very good at cruising at 15mph for more that a couple minutes... so i tried to set the cruise control but it wouldn't work. kind of annoying. I can get it to cruise at 35 i think.
I believe it's 25MPH
Old 05-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Tac0ma View Post
I have tried pulling up on the clutch pedal and still nothing happens for me, the cruise light cuts on but won't set. I think my clock spring is bad though rather than it bein that switch... Damn rack and pinion install
Are you getting under the dash and seeing if the clutch pedal is making contact with the switch?