1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5 3.4L 4x4 gear oil leak problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 00toytaco, May 16, 2012.

1. May 16, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    00toytaco

00toytaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Loveland, CO
    Vehicle:
    00' Tacoma SR5 w/TRD V6 4x4
    Home made intake system (need to get the right system), Rancho rear shocks, kyb front struts, 3 inch lift, brushguard, home made grille, Dual led 6.5" speakers, 12" JL Audio sub.
    2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5 3.4L 4x4 gear oil leak problem
    I recently tried to fix a front passenger side axle seal on my truck. Got the seal at the Stapp toyota dealership and replaced the old with the new one in the same spot as the old one. Still leaking apparently and called toyota they were no help. Talked to the parts guy for 10 minutes bout the problem then tranfered over to services and they told me the inner seal is whats causing the leak. Then transfered back to parts for a price check on the inner seal and he says there isn't an inner seal the one i replaced is the only one. So what the hell is leaking? To have it done at the dealership they want $240 for a part that cost me $26. Can't afford a shop to do it with what i make at my job so i do all my mechanics on my truck myself with some friends help. I posted a pic of the leak easy to tell where its coming from just look at the only clean dark spot. Any info on this please let me know and what i can do to fix this. This truck is my daily driver to work and back plus having some fun in the mountains on the weekends.

differential leak.jpg

2. May 17, 2012 at 5:57 PM
    hossmaster

hossmaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    League City, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2002 Converted / 2017 OR
    Was a PreRunner, now it isn't
    that seal needs to be flush with the diff. YOU have to be very careful and deliberate not to touch the seal with the cv shaft when installing it back into the diff tube. If you bump it or install it a bit crooked it will leak.

Products Discussed in

To Top