Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

HELP ASAP!!!!

Old 05-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
jab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud of
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
HELP ASAP!!!!

I know this is not a tacoma but has the same 5vz motor so bare with me here. Ok Im at a complete loss here and need help asap!! I have a 02 runner with 110k miles on it. I decided to change the plugs and wires. So I bought some new wires and some NGK dual electrode plugs ones that is required to run in our engines. So I go through the install making sure that I do not cross the wires ect... So when I finish and double check everything I go to start it up and it is running like crap!! Misfiring like a mofo but no CEL. I double check the connections and make sure that I did not cross any wires and everything checks out. I then think that it may be bad wires so I swapped back the factory wires and still the same horrible misfire. What could be the problem?? Could the fact of moving the coils after so long have caused them to fail? Also I have seen that the gap on the plugs is supposed to be set to .044" according to this. 4Runners.org - Changing Your Spark Plugs However it also says not to gap them since they are pre-gaped. The plugs out of the box was at exactly .022" on each ground tip. Is that correct? I actually tried both gaps with no difference in fixing the misfire. As of now I am at a complete standstill as of what to do. I dont want to blindly buy coils that I may not need especially at the price they are. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
One of the plugs wires is in the wrong spot. Ive done it after i swore i didnt.

And set gap with what the manual says.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think you have the right plugs. I don't have the NGK equivalent part no. on hand, but here is the Denso K16TR11, and they need to be .043, and they should be darn close to that out of the box if not dead on.

EDIT: NGK BKR5EKB-11

Old 05-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
Senior Member. HA. I'm not a senior. I'm young...
Nunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
Nunavut's Tacoma Gallery
When you create a topic. it clearly states the following:

Bad Titles: "Help", "How bout this" Good Title: "Strange sound from engine"

(This is post number 200)
Old 05-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
jab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud of
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
One of the plugs wires is in the wrong spot. Ive done it after i swore i didnt.

And set gap with what the manual says.
You were exactly correct I did actually cross a wire lol! It runs good now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
I don't think you have the right plugs. I don't have the NGK equivalent part no. on hand, but here is the Denso K16TR11, and they need to be .043, and they should be darn close to that out of the box if not dead on.

EDIT: NGK BKR5EKB-11

Exact same part number I really have no idea why they were like that??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunavut View Post
When you create a topic. it clearly states the following:

Bad Titles: "Help", "How bout this" Good Title: "Strange sound from engine"

(This is post number 200)
But it did get your attention yes??
Old 05-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
Senior Member. HA. I'm not a senior. I'm young...
Nunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
Nunavut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab08 View Post

Yes. Yes it did get my attention. Good job. Lol
Old 05-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab08 View Post

Great glad you got it running good