Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

might have to replace tie rod end. how hard is it?

Old 05-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
505 Member
white toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gian
white toy taco's Tacoma Gallery
might have to replace tie rod end. how hard is it?

i was replacing a lower ball joint and i was beating the tie rod end bolt to where it "warped" the top 2 threads. im going to try and grind it down and see if i can get it to work. i have another tie rod end incase it doesnt work. how hard is it and how do you do it?
Old 07-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
esse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

esse10's Tacoma Gallery
tie-rod ends

They are very easy to replace, just remover the cutter pin, loosen the castle nut and unscrew to the end but don't remove yet. use this tool and the Tie-rod pops out, remove castle nut, unscrew tie-rod from the steering link, put the new tie rod in reverse order. torque castle nut to spec's and put cutter pin. Do a front end alignment on the truck. Took me an hour a piece. Good luck man
Attached Thumbnails
might have to replace tie rod end. how hard is it?-tierod.jpg  
Old 07-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
505 Member
white toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

awesome thanks for the reply! i ripped the shit out of the boot so i need to replace it
Old 10-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough

Army: 91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic
Name: Austin
3RZ Taco's Tacoma Gallery
where do you get the boots?! mine were ripped when i replaced them so i just have shock boots on them right now :P haha
Old 10-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RZ Taco View Post
where do you get the boots?! mine were ripped when i replaced them so i just have shock boots on them right now :P haha
I don't think you can replace just the boot. You have to replace the whole end.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
505 Member

yea i think thats right, i just got a new tie rod end because i had to grind the bolt a little so i need a whole new one
Old 10-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
Cameronswmp9 is on a distinguished road
Name: Cameron
Cameronswmp9's Tacoma Gallery
Break the nut loose from the inner before you tear it apart, makes it easier and a little quicker than fighting with it after you get the TRE assy out of the spindle.

If you dont have the tie rod end tool pictured above, a pickle fork works well, but I actually hit the spindle perpendicular to the tie rod end and a few whacks and it pops right out and go right on. With getting it, you should be able to do it in about 20-25 minutes from jacking up to dropping it down, per side
Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
You really didnt need to do that. You ground off way to much.

If you'd taken a small fine file and gone after the threads, you could have cleaned them up. You could have then chased the threads and been fine!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
505 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronswmp9 View Post
Break the nut loose from the inner before you tear it apart, makes it easier and a little quicker than fighting with it after you get the TRE assy out of the spindle.

If you dont have the tie rod end tool pictured above, a pickle fork works well, but I actually hit the spindle perpendicular to the tie rod end and a few whacks and it pops right out and go right on. With getting it, you should be able to do it in about 20-25 minutes from jacking up to dropping it down, per side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
You really didnt need to do that. You ground off way to much.

If you'd taken a small fine file and gone after the threads, you could have cleaned them up. You could have then chased the threads and been fine!
yea i just ground down the top threads that were warped so i really didnt grind too much