Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Camshaft Position Sensor

Old 05-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Camshaft Position Sensor

So apparently mine has a malfunction

meaning I need to change it

Anyone here done it? recommended place to buy the sensor? pictures of WTF it is and what is involved in changing it?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Looks like it is behind the timing belt cover but seems like an easy job.

Location: http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...e/cps/comp.pdf

Repair: http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...e/cps/repl.pdf
Old 05-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Looks like it is behind the timing belt cover but seems like an easy job.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...e/cps/repl.pdf
gracias senor

now...my check engine light came on and threw the code for that malfunction (p0340)...i cleared it but it came back on a couple days later

obviously it needs to be changed...but how bad is that need? like before i drive it again or i need to get to it in the next couple weeks? or meh when i have time/money?

Toyotapartsales has it for sale for $123.00 shipped...RockAuto has the delphi OEM for like $234
Old 05-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
gracias senor

now...my check engine light came on and threw the code for that malfunction (p0340)...i cleared it but it came back on a couple days later

obviously it needs to be changed...but how bad is that need? like before i drive it again or i need to get to it in the next couple weeks? or meh when i have time/money?

Toyotapartsales has it for sale for $123.00 shipped...RockAuto has the delphi OEM for like $234
Well it could have been a temporary malfunction. I got a CEL for the same thing on the ex's Dad's car(Infinity I35) while driving it. I thought I had damaged something after not driving it so nice. Yeah I know. Well I erased the code and it never came back on. Maybe put the money aside for a new sensor but wait to see if the light comes on. Obviously the truck still runs.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

what's odd...is that it comes on when i let the truck run and idle for extended periods of time...like in a drive-thru...
Old 05-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

Name: jesus
jesus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
gracias senor

check ebay....
Old 05-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

jesus's Tacoma Gallery
i just did I check for Camshaft Position Sensor, tacoma 2002 ad there about 14 alot of them under $100
Old 05-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

i'm hesitant to use ebay these days...i'm a very untrusting person...i have a handful of internet vendors that I trust...and thats not one of them
Old 05-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #9

jesus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i'm hesitant to use ebay these days...i'm a very untrusting person...i have a handful of internet vendors that I trust...and thats not one of them
I've have good luck with my stuff form ebay and most come with warranty just check part # and brand
Old 05-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
Rmesa1 is just really niceRmesa1 is just really niceRmesa1 is just really niceRmesa1 is just really nice
Rmesa1's Tacoma Gallery
Any coolant leak these sensors are pretty reliable only time I have seen them gombadnis when the water pump is leaking and the sensor is contaminated with coolant. Sensor is easy to change just remove the top timing belt cover and you can get to it.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #11
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Do you think it might have something to do with your timing belt? Maybe skipped a tooth? Ive never heard of these sensors going for no reason
Old 05-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr97tacoma View Post
Do you think it might have something to do with your timing belt? Maybe skipped a tooth? Ive never heard of these sensors going for no reason
current belt has been on for 2+ years and it doesnt seem to be running funny

coolant levels are normal etc
Old 05-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #13
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
what's odd...is that it comes on when i let the truck run and idle for extended periods of time...like in a drive-thru...
Stop going though drive-throughs. It isn't a cruiser built for donut runs.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #14
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Stop going though drive-throughs. It isn't a cruiser built for donut runs.
you hush your mouth! the cruiser doesnt hit drive-thrus
Old 03-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #15
budget76 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
budget76's Tacoma Gallery
just threw the p0340 cam position sensor code.
Not taking chances new delphi cam position sensor on ebay $30 and new delphi crank position on ebay $50. have 130K miles on it and i want a trouble free 300K, so new parts always as time allows. I use this puppy (2.7 4wd) 750 miles a week and still searching that elusive 24MPG. maybe some day.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #16
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Jeff, I can get you a Toyota factory original cam sensor for $150 shipped to you as long as you are in the continental US.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #17
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
By the way, a failed camshaft sensor on the Tacoma will not stop it from running. It will put it in an alternate fuel timing mode however, (AKA failsafe-mode). Can you drive with a failed sensor, yes. Is it a good idea? Not really, but then again, the choice is up to the individual owner.

To test the camshaft sensor, you can disconnect the connector and measure the resistance of the camshaft sensor. On a cold engine the resistance should be between 835-1400 ohms. On a warm sensor it should read 1060-1645 ohms. A warm sensor is one that is between 122-212 degrees F.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #18
soup101 is just really nicesoup101 is just really nicesoup101 is just really nicesoup101 is just really nice
Name: Joe
soup101's Tacoma Gallery
While changing my timing belt, water pump etc. I managed to somehow put a small dent in my camshaft position sensor. Will this dent cause an issue? I don't want to put this all back together only to have to tear it apart again to replace this sensor. Thanks for any advice.

Camshaft Position Sensor-dsc_0922.jpg
Old 08-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #19
soup101 is just really nicesoup101 is just really nicesoup101 is just really nicesoup101 is just really nice
Name: Joe
soup101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by soup101 View Post
While changing my timing belt, water pump etc. I managed to somehow put a small dent in my camshaft position sensor. Will this dent cause an issue? I don't want to put this all back together only to have to tear it apart again to replace this sensor. Thanks for any advice.

Attachment 227983
Decided I'll just replace it since I have it torn down. Pretty sure the dent would cause issues.