Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

97 idle fluctuation

Old 05-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
trucruiser is on a distinguished road
trucruiser's Tacoma Gallery
97 idle fluctuation

So.... I have been working on ressurecting a 97 tacoma with a 3RZ. It has 93k on the ticker. This truck was parked on the wrong side of town and suffered a bullet through the intake plenum and valve cover as well as the wire harness, which melted at the impact point. To this point I have replaced the harness, valve cover, intake and some relays. I can now get the truck to start and run but my main problem right now is the idle fluctuates high to low to high in a continuous cycle. temp does not effect the idle issue, It does it when its cool and warm. The little valve that pushes controls the throtle pushes it in and out. I have checked all the hoses and cleaned the TB but it doesnt help. The coolant is topped off, it has new oil and filter, cap and rotor. I also checked the TPs which seems to be working fine.
What do you think I should try troubleshooting next?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Someone shot your taco??? Wtf
Old 05-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
I inherited it that way LOL, I do feel good about the progress though.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Poor taco try sea foaming it? Check for shit in the gas tank? MAF sensor
Old 05-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
will try seafoam tonight.
Thanks
Old 05-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #6

Anytime! I think there is a sticky on it
Old 05-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
Registered Mud Abuser
dentaco76247 is on a distinguished road

Name: Greg
dentaco76247's Tacoma Gallery
Junk in bottom of fuel tank

O2 sensors could be adjusting the lean/rich mix... Just a thought I would seafoam it first. Replace fuel filter as well
Old 05-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
I could be missing something..but you said that it fluctuates between high and low idle..but that is normal.

Low idle is ~750 and high idle is ~1100.

Unless it does it in rapid succession.

Need more details.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
Registered Mud Abuser

The OP stated his idle fluctuates up and down while cool and warm. That is not normal. It should idle at about 1100 until warm then drop to 750ish.

I recently helped a friend get an old Ford running that had sat parked in a field for four years. We had to replace fuel tanks, pumps, filters, spark plugs, wires, dist, and cap. It was a nightmare but ran like a champ when we got it done.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has always fluctuated between high and low idle when at operating temp. It runs fine...
Old 05-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
I could be missing something..but you said that it fluctuates between high and low idle..but that is normal.

Need more details.
I think he means in rapid succession. ive heard of that before.. its weird
Old 05-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mine has always fluctuated between high and low idle when at operating temp. It runs fine...
Doesn't sound right. My cold idle range: 1000 to 1250. Operating idle: 600 to 850.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #13
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
My Tacoma had jacked up fluctuations like this, not too rapid, but very noticeable.

Turned out to be a bad throttle position sensor
Old 05-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
Yes in rapid succession, definitely not normal. Gonna run to the parts store and get some seafoam hopefully it stops raining here so I can work on it.
Thanks for all the replies guys
Cheers
Old 05-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #15
Registered Mud Abuser

Rain??? what's that??
Old 05-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #16
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Need more details.
My low idle is at about 650 rpm's
Old 05-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #17
Alright, Seafoamed, and carb cleaner looking for vacuum leaks, no dice!!!. Still doing it. Grrrr.....
What should I try next?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentaco76247 View Post
Rain??? what's that??
Colorado weather, 84 one day and rain and 54 the next, gotta love it.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #19
Registered Mud Abuser

The O2 sensors may be adjusting your a/f ratio searching for correct most efficient burn.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #20
Looks like I will try the O2 sensor next.
Thanks for the input. I may tow it to the autoparts store and get it scanned first, see what codes they pull.