Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

what is that smell?

Old 05-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
what is that smell?

So yesterday, on my way home, I went to pass this guy on a slight upgrade just after a stop light. I was doing about 25 in 3rd gear, and tried downshifting to 2nd. It didn't want to go into gear, so I tried sticking it back in 3rd, no luck for a few seconds, then I started to smell burning oil, thick and heavy smell of oil. Could see no smoke, oil pressure light didn't illuminate, checked oil when I got home and it was good. Also, I had no further issues and haven't smelled it since. Any ideas, maybe tranny oil needs changing? With as strong as the smell was, it has me concerned.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Sure it wasn't the clutch burning?
Old 05-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
twistax will become famous soon enough

twistax's Tacoma Gallery
Gasket leaks near the manifold?
Old 05-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Sure it wasn't the clutch burning?
Very well could have been. Never burned one before, this is my fifth manual vehicle...would that smell like I described it?
Old 05-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
** your title, couldn't help it

http://youtu.be/WjAPoN8qs0Q
Old 05-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmarshall1 View Post
Very well could have been. Never burned one before, this is my fifth manual vehicle...would that smell like I described it?
A burnt up clutch smells just like burnt up brakes. have you ever driven passed a semi Truck that had smoked his breaks? Or have you ever driven an older vehical with out abs and questionable brakes hit the breaks at a great amount of speed and by the time you got to actually stopped the brake pedal was on the floor and there was a funny smell? thats what a smoked clutch smells like.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
well usually you only smell a clutch burning when you are riding the clutch. (which would result in a backhand from mom, since she is the one who taught me how to drive a manual) unless you have something else going on with it. then those pressure plates get hot and burn its a very sharp nasty smell. and it will come up from the floorboard. since you were having trouble getting it into gear, it sounds like the clutch was not fully engaged.
and even if you had gridded the gears for a second or two that would not cause the smell.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
** your title, couldn't help it

http://youtu.be/WjAPoN8qs0Q

LMAO, I knew someone would hit me with the Skynyrd! Yeah, come to think of it, it did smell quite a bit like burning brakes. So is the clutch going out? I also notice every now and again, it's rough putting her in reverse and it'll click when it drops in.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmarshall1 View Post
LMAO, I knew someone would hit me with the Skynyrd! Yeah, come to think of it, it did smell quite a bit like burning brakes. So is the clutch going out? I also notice every now and again, it's rough putting her in reverse and it'll click when it drops in.
Once you do get it in gear it runs fine? Then I would be thinkin clutch from what you describe
Old 05-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
me either.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Nice bump
Old 05-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

smoking your clutch once isn't the end of the world. I would keep driving it. If it starts to give you problems with shifting through the gears with normal driving then yes you need to get a new clutch and prolly resurface the flywheel. but if it doesn't give you any problems I wouldn't worry about it. Another thought and forgive be because I don't know does your toyota have a hydrolic clutch or a cable clutch? The possible reason you smoked your clutch could be either the clutch master cylinder or the clutch slave might be starting to fail and when you pushed the clutch pedal in it didn't fully disengage the clutch.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
I have a boner
Me too...
Old 05-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer View Post
smoking your clutch once isn't the end of the world. I would keep driving it. If it starts to give you problems with shifting through the gears with normal driving then yes you need to get a new clutch and prolly resurface the flywheel. but if it doesn't give you any problems I wouldn't worry about it. Another thought and forgive be because I don't know does your toyota have a hydrolic clutch or a cable clutch? The possible reason you smoked your clutch could be either the clutch master cylinder or the clutch slave might be starting to fail and when you pushed the clutch pedal in it didn't fully disengage the clutch.
Sheeeiittttt, no idea. It's a 2002 TRD. How would I figure that out, I'm no mech, but I'm willing to learn. That's why I joined TW.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #15

If you have a hydrolic clutch there will be a small resivuor with break fluid in it just to the left of your brake master cylinder. At least every time I've seen ine it was to the left.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #16
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
me either.
Sometimes you guys are more work than your worth... Remember, there are women on this forum so be respectful of their desire to come on the forum and not have to see this stuff.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer View Post
If you have a hydrolic clutch there will be a small resivuor with break fluid in it just to the left of your brake master cylinder. At least every time I've seen ine it was to the left.
Thanks, I'll check it out. And mods, sorry.