LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Abs light went on

Old 05-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
Senior Member. HA. I'm not a senior. I'm young...
Nunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
Nunavut's Tacoma Gallery
Abs light went on

I was driving and my abs light started flashing. I didn't know what it was so I pulled over, turned off my ignition, and looked in the owners manual. After gaining some knowledge I started my vehicle and the light was gone. Should I be concerned?
Old 05-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
Nunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nunavut's Tacoma Gallery
Dear fellow forumers.
Please share your opinions.
Thanks
Sincerely.
Nunavut
Old 05-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Plug in a scanner and pull the code.

What exactly were you doing when it came on? Any wheelspin involved?

I would be mildly concerned. If it comes on again, I'd be more worried.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
Ga tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudy
Ga tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
In most cases when a warning light flashes, it means that the software has failed, and is the most serious problem to have, hence the flashing to alert you. If check engine light or ABS light is solid and doesn't flash, it means there is a problem, but it is not a vital emergency. Fix it soon.
The flashing light is warning that a major component has failed, usually, the PCM or main computer or the ABS computer. It is the truck's only way to have you understand and make a appointment to repair the problem, as it is telling you it is serious.

Since your light went out after you turned off your Taco, you did the correct thing to reset the system if it is a false report. Sometimes computer go crazy, I know, Hard to believe. You did do the right thing by stopping and reading and then restarting. I would not worry unless your flashing light returns in a day or two.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #5

Nunavut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Plug in a scanner and pull the code.

What exactly were you doing when it came on? Any wheelspin involved?

I would be mildly concerned. If it comes on again, I'd be more worried.
I was just driving down the highway when it came on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga tacoguy View Post
In most cases when a warning light flashes, it means that the software has failed, and is the most serious problem to have, hence the flashing to alert you. If check engine light or ABS light is solid and doesn't flash, it means there is a problem, but it is not a vital emergency. Fix it soon.
The flashing light is warning that a major component has failed, usually, the PCM or main computer or the ABS computer. It is the truck's only way to have you understand and make a appointment to repair the problem, as it is telling you it is serious.

Since your light went out after you turned off your Taco, you did the correct thing to reset the system if it is a false report. Sometimes computer go crazy, I know, Hard to believe. You did do the right thing by stopping and reading and then restarting. I would not worry unless your flashing light returns in a day or two.
Thanks. That's what I thought. I've started the vehicle 5 or 6 times after that, and driven about 120km and it hasn't came on yet. So I'm hoping it won't come on again.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
just a thought, when was the last time you serviced your brakes?
now this is not a warning that your pads or shoes are worn, but one easy solution could involve the brake fluid. brake fluid should be changed on a reg. schedule esp. depending on use. if your brake fluid is dark CHANGE IT.
water and trash builds up with time esp. water and this could set of the abs sensor. I have read several good articles on this over the years since abs came out, and one is that people who drive almost all there miles on the highway should flush there fluid every two years since repeated braking makes the brakes hot which by theory boils off moisture in system, but you dont get this on highway miles, hence moisture buildup.
stop and go city driving cures this but with all the braking you get a buildup of dirt.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #7

Nunavut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertgeejr1 View Post
just a thought, when was the last time you serviced your brakes?
now this is not a warning that your pads or shoes are worn, but one easy solution could involve the brake fluid. brake fluid should be changed on a reg. schedule esp. depending on use. if your brake fluid is dark CHANGE IT.
water and trash builds up with time esp. water and this could set of the abs sensor. I have read several good articles on this over the years since abs came out, and one is that people who drive almost all there miles on the highway should flush there fluid every two years since repeated braking makes the brakes hot which by theory boils off moisture in system, but you dont get this on highway miles, hence moisture buildup.
stop and go city driving cures this but with all the braking you get a buildup of dirt.
I got my break pads and rotors changed about a week ago.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunavut View Post
I got my break pads and rotors changed about a week ago.
Definitely check the fluid level then. It might be low.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #9

Nunavut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
Definitely check the fluid level then. It might be low.
If it's the fluid level, shouldn't the "break" light go on, not the abs one?
Old 05-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

not always. if the fluid is low or dirty, this can set off the ABS light first.
they are very sensitive to the condition of the fluid. it the dirt or moisture that can cause them to fail. its always best to just do a complete flush when doing the brakes. they can be a pain in the ass and expensive if the go bad.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #11

Nunavut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertgeejr1 View Post
not always. if the fluid is low or dirty, this can set off the ABS light first.
they are very sensitive to the condition of the fluid. it the dirt or moisture that can cause them to fail. its always best to just do a complete flush when doing the brakes. they can be a pain in the ass and expensive if the go bad.
Okay thanks.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #12

and if you don't mind, one more thing, if you can get DOT4, brake fluid I woud use it, (its what I use.. its a step above the standard, and in the extreme weather, (swing in temps) it give extra protection and is just a little more. and one old trick is to get a cheap turkey baster, suck out most of the old dirty brake fluid in the master cylinder, fill with good, bled brakes till the fluid is clean, (and you are not running so much of the dirty fluid back through the lines) and you are set.