Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Louder Exhaust?

Old 05-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
I Am Batman!
Asta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to behold

Name: Daniel
Asta's Tacoma Gallery
Louder Exhaust?

I have stock exhaust but want it to be louder. I dont wanna put alot of money into it right now. Thanks for any suggestions
Old 05-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
14'' Magnaflow
Old 05-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I just don't get it.
A lot of members on this forum seem to want a
a loud, obnoxious, annoying exhaust. WHY?

For me, the quieter the better, so I can converse with my
passenger, or listen to music.
And if something goes wrong with the truck (creating a slight noise),
a loud exhaust would mask it.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Bodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud of

Bodz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
I just don't get it.
A lot of members on this forum seem to want a
a loud, obnoxious, annoying exhaust. WHY?

For me, the quieter the better, so I can converse with my
passenger, or listen to music.
And if something goes wrong with the truck (creating a slight noise),
a loud exhaust would mask it.
I agree. I can't stand noisy exhaust especially from medium or low powered vehicles. The worst is the fart pipes i see / hear people put on their Honda Civics, etc. What a joke! On the other hand, a 500+ hp Mustang Cobra plays a pretty sweet tune. In the meantime, i do love the quiet of my Tacoma and that'll never change.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Magnaflows have nice sound while being conservative in the volume department
Old 05-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dan
BassMaster06's Tacoma Gallery
Yes to each their own. I have the aero turbine 2525xl which has a built in resonator, and i dont think it sounds too loud or obnoxious at all. Don't get me wrong, its not gonna sound like a v8...no matter what you do. I just like the deeper rumble, and it sounds awesome at start up and when rolling thru town or down the back road, and I have no trouble conversing with passengers goin down the highway, windows up or down. Search here or on YouTube, you can find a ton of different sound clips of various types of exhausts on our trucks. Good luck with your decision!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
I eat terrorism and crap freedom!
apierce7565 is on a distinguished road

Army: 12B Combat Engineer 2/11 ACR 58th CEC
Name: Anthony
apierce7565's Tacoma Gallery
i have the loudest you can pretty much get (flowmaster 10 series with stock headers and cats) and its not that loud at all its gets a litttle loud taking off but once you get up to speed you can hear it but its not annoying
Old 05-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
DanglingFury's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta View Post
I have stock exhaust but want it to be louder. I dont wanna put alot of money into it right now. Thanks for any suggestions
Cheapest and loudest (Therefore, most efficient) would be to take off everything except your exhaust manifolds. This will make your truck louder, AND lighter!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I know people shit on Flow Master a lot but I love my Super 44.

I got mine for 70 shipped and had a local muffler shop install it for 30. Had the pipe cut at the axle
Old 05-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
tacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robbie
tacomaforlife's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
I know people shit on Flow Master a lot but I love my Super 44.

I got mine for 70 shipped and had a local muffler shop install it for 30. Had the pipe cut at the axle

x2 ive got the flowmaster super44 with gutted cats and i love it.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #11

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
My flowmaster sounds pretty good. But the drone at highway speeds is unbearable at times.

Plus the muffler case is ballooned out and the baffles are coming loose

I will be going with a 14'' magnaflow to replace it.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
remove the exhaust and headers.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #13
hondarider215 will become famous soon enough

Name: Wes
hondarider215's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a flowmaster 40 series off of amazon for $54 and had a buddy weld it on for me. Sounds good but does get annoying after awhile. I kinda wish i still had stock but the truck does sound bad ass.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #14

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
good deal on a magnaflow:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390341874418...ht_3898wt_1163
Old 05-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #15
TACOmobbin is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
TACOmobbin's Tacoma Gallery
My TRD catback sounds really nice. It drones a bit around 2.5k rpms, but personally I like that low rumble. Gets loud at higher RPMs
Old 05-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #16
Kennyperez is on a distinguished road

Name: Kenny
Kennyperez's Tacoma Gallery
flow master 40 seriese, heard a 1st gen drive by with one today and it sounded bad ass!
im assuming it was a FM since he had the sticker on his truck
Old 05-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Had a 40 series, drone was pretty bad at 70mph. Sounds awesome at idle tho.

OP, sorry I forgot to mention that, plus my fm started rusting in about a year, and they tend to fall apart from the inside out.....but they can sounds great at idle
i hear if they point the end straight to the ground its really loud in the cab but if its more leaned to the side then it sounds better in the cab?
how was yours?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #18
hoshish is on a distinguished road
Name: robert
hoshish's Tacoma Gallery
adding my 2 cents.... i went shopping for some super 44's for my 07 taco this past week @ a local exhaust shop. the sales guy there highly discouraged getting them. he said if i was okay with the loss of HP and gas mileage, and only cared for the sound... go for it! he suggested going with the 40 or 50 series if i had my heart set on FM. if i wanted more HP (10-14 increase) and better mileage i should take a look at borla (which also makes the trd exhaust).
Old 05-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #19

im pretty sure hes asking about mufflers? a muffler cant get you 10-14hp, i dont even think an exaust system can?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #20

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoshish View Post
adding my 2 cents.... i went shopping for some super 44's for my 07 taco this past week @ a local exhaust shop. the sales guy there highly discouraged getting them. he said if i was okay with the loss of HP and gas mileage, and only cared for the sound... go for it! he suggested going with the 40 or 50 series if i had my heart set on FM. if i wanted more HP (10-14 increase) and better mileage i should take a look at borla (which also makes the trd exhaust).
Any muffler like borla, magnaflow, etc..will flow better because they are a straight-through type of muffler vs. the chambered type like FM