Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

This doesn't look good!! How much is this gonna cost me?

Old 05-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
bpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud of
Name: Jon
bpkrules's Tacoma Gallery
This doesn't look good!! How much is this gonna cost me?

Old 05-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Torn cv boot. Not terribly expensive if you do it yourself.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
To much fun on the dunes huh
Old 05-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiatt1991 View Post
Torn cv boot. Not terribly expensive if you do it yourself.
Looks like wet boot though... might need a bear or bushing or whatever the hell is on the differential side as well.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I had that happen on my tacoma. Cost me 50 bucks plus the core and a few hours to install. Grant it, I got county discount price on it....
Old 05-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Meh... keep a spare in the truck and just drive around with that one til it falls off or something.

Seriously, you're probably fine for a long time.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
lonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to all

Name: Lonnie
lonzorizo's Tacoma Gallery
Reboot kit will cost like $13. Not a hard job at all. Or buy a replacement cv with lifetime warranty and keep OEM as spare.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonzorizo View Post
Reboot kit will cost like $13. Not a hard job at all. Or buy a replacement cv with lifetime warranty and keep OEM as spare.
I'd replace it. If you've been driving on it with it torn, shit can get in there and yeah. Replacing the boot is messy and moar annoying then just replacing it.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
bpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud of
Thanks for the Help
Time to see if i'm up for the job. I will try to replace the whole thing a keep the old as a spare.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpkrules View Post
Thanks for the Help
Time to see if i'm up for the job. I will try to replace the whole thing a keep the old as a spare.
It's really not that bad, at least on the 1st gens. Just time consuming for the first couple times. After that it's quick and easy.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
OP, I think I have a new in box boot at the house from when I had my 2001 Taco. I'm not sure what model you have but I'll look for the boot tonight. If I have it, it's all yours.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
That would be great!
Old 05-22-2012, 06:38 AM   #13
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Jon I looked last night but I couldn't find that thing anywhere. I can picture the dang box and I remember seeing it I just don't know where. Sorry man. I would go with what the other guys said though and replace the whole thing. That is why I had the spare boot. I found this that might help you.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/cv_axle/
Old 05-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #14
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Clamp the boot back to the cv axle and don't worry about it. As long as the grease is sealed inside you're fine.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #15
DblstuftTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
DblstuftTaco's Tacoma Gallery
my boot had a leak last summer, forgot about it and looked at it a couple days ago, inner boot was in 2 seperate pieces. Not a spot of grease left in it. Not sure how long it had been that way. Just got 2 re-man'ed cv axels from Autozone. Smthg like 60 a piece plus core charge.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #16
YotaYota is on a distinguished road
YotaYota's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, accidently tore my cv boot on both sides yesterday(ripped just like the pic of the OP). Would you guys recomend replacing just the boot ot the the entire cv shafts on both sides?

keep in mind that im on a pretty tight budget because im a college student, THANKS!
Old 08-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #17
YotaYota is on a distinguished road
YotaYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
Clamp the boot back to the cv axle and don't worry about it. As long as the grease is sealed inside you're fine.

Or is this a good idea?
Old 08-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #18
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Meh... keep a spare in the truck and just drive around with that one til it falls off or something.

Seriously, you're probably fine for a long time.
superior minds think alike.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #19
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
When I was in college, I drove around for no joke prolly 60K miles or more with leaky cvs on my 1995.5...never had a problem
Old 08-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #20
RacerP will become famous soon enough
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaYota View Post
Hey guys, accidently tore my cv boot on both sides yesterday(ripped just like the pic of the OP). Would you guys recomend replacing just the boot ot the the entire cv shafts on both sides?

keep in mind that im on a pretty tight budget because im a college student, THANKS!
Just a matter of price, time, and your abilities???

You can re-boot the CV with a reboot kit, or for a little money more buy a reamanned one from autozone for $60